Fanless Cooling

Grimulus

Okay, now you guys have me interested in the fanless cooling stuff. Are these HUGE heat sinks that much more efficient that a standard fan and heatsink and if i had the fans to it will it make it rock that much more?

Secondly, that thing looks HEAVY. I was wondering about my fan(http://www.xoxide.com/thvo12.html) damage my motherboard by bending it, apparently it doesn't do it to much but i'm wondering about these things...

I'm looking at the one Praetor posted...

http://www.xoxide.com/tower112.html

I will probably put the 2 slient fans on there as well...wondering if it was worth the extra 20 bucks.

kb1ghc

you should still get a fan on your case, because if you don't, all the hot air is gonna be trapped in the case, and after a while, won't be able to cool the processor well,

i've heard of watercooling systems that use convection instead of pumps, and theres about a gallon of water, and the so the heatsink will have water on it

Grimulus

kb1ghc said:
you should still get a fan on your case, because if you don't, all the hot air is gonna be trapped in the case, and after a while, won't be able to cool the processor well,

Yeah man, of course i"m going to get case fans.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well in light of "fanless" cooling, you dont actually need a fan to keep the case adequately cooled (i.e, Zalman has a silent case which essnetially has the entire case acting as a massive heatpipe). You can also get exceptional cooling (approaching -20ºC) without fans in the case: just grab yourself a nice Vapochil case cooler and you're set. :D

Grimulus

Praetor said:
You can also get exceptional cooling (approaching -20ºC) without fans in the case: just grab yourself a nice Vapochil case cooler and you're set. :D

Buy me one. :p

Seriously though, I need to get my system nice and cool. If it's possible to do without fans(or as little as possible) then that would be awesome. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Buy me one.
Sure. As long as you buy it off me (i'm in computer retail :p)

If it's possible to do without fans(or as little as possible) then that would be awesome.
Unless you want to go hardcore fanless (which is expensive) you're really best off with brute force fans and a nice fan controller; that way you can tone the noise down to nothing when ur sleeping or whatnot and still have cooling should you need it.

Grimulus

Praetor said:
Sure. As long as you buy it off me (i'm in computer retail :p)

Unless you want to go hardcore fanless (which is expensive) you're really best off with brute force fans and a nice fan controller; that way you can tone the noise down to nothing when ur sleeping or whatnot and still have cooling should you need it.

http://www.xoxide.com/tower112.html

If I stuck the fans on both sides of it or another one like that is similar, would i see a big difference in temperature in comparison to my volcano 12 I have now?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on how you look at it (actually i'm deciding between the Tower112+2Volcano12s and the Polo735 myself which essentially is a Volcano12). If you run the Tower112 by itself, probably not; if you put two silentboost fans on it it will probbaly be on par with the VOlcano12 runing at full blast and then you can also jack two Volcano12s onto the Tower112 ... obviously there would be a dramatic difference there.

Question: how do you have a Volcano12? The Volc12 is a A64 cooler... you're running an A32 chip....