Fast Solution for Home PC's

Greg J.

VIP Member
Imagine being able to start Windows XP in just a few seconds. A solid state drive?! Not quite. This solution is much more afforadable for home users.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121105,00.asp

My only complaint is that the back-up battery only lasts about 12 hours if you unplug the computer from the wall outlet.

Video editors and Gamers may like this kind of speed though.....along with every other customer that desirith a fast boot up.

Edit: So, what do you think?

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Awsome...

That's where the future is heading. I have heard of a Japanese company creating a prototype drive with flash memory on-board which would come in sizes in tens of gigabytes.

JAN :D

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
WOW, how comes people didnt think of this before now, its a brilliant idea. if it gets released in the Uk i might even buy one. Good old Japan

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I just timed my bootup and it is a staggering 7 seconds, WOO HOO. The win xp blue bar thingy only goes across twice and then its straight onto desktop within 2-3 seconds, the longest part is the BIOS finding the IDE drives.

Greg J.

VIP Member
It makes me wonder if an SATA II or III interface along with a PCI express slot will make transfer speeds improve (along with faster RAM (manufacturer overclocking), and a water cooling system.
http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=249

Like I have said in other threads: I have huge hopes for the future of desktop computers.

Last edited:

backseatgunner

dragon2309 said:
I just timed my bootup and it is a staggering 7 seconds, WOO HOO. The win xp blue bar thingy only goes across twice and then its straight onto desktop within 2-3 seconds, the longest part is the BIOS finding the IDE drives.

How did you get it down to 7 seconds with a 2.8. My 3.2GHz P4 takes 18 seconds.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I have no idea, i have had this PC for about 5 months. For ages it took around 20 secs to boot then everything went pearshaped and i formatted and reinstalled everything, now the XP blue bar thing only goes across twice and it comes up with "welcome to win XP" screen. I timed it again today and it was 9 seconds.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Yes, i press the power button, start the timer then wait til i see my win XP dektop, it takes 7 seconds (well, it took 9 today but i suppose an everage of about 8 is right). thought this kinda time was normal and the my PC was just being slow before wen it was 20 secs.

I have standard IDE ATA drives operating at ATA133 so nothing spectacular.