Fastest data transfer

autoflow

What is the fastest way to transfer data between computers excluding modem speed. i need to send like 10 gigs to my laptop from my pc and then back after i reformat.

<<seS>>Saint

autoflow said:
What is the fastest way to transfer data between computers excluding modem speed. i need to send like 10 gigs to my laptop from my pc and then back after i reformat.

A CAT 5 Cable but there is a variation it's called a Crossover Cable (there's like two wires crossed in the cable) this will transfer 100mb a second. That is probably your best bet. You can get a 3 meter cabel for like $7.00

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
this will transfer 100mb a second
It will be 10Mb/sec unless they have gigabit ethernet cards. To set it up, just plug the crossover cable into each computers network card and on the destination drive set up a folder with file sharing then find it in network places and just copy it over.

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
It will be 10Mb/sec unless they have gigabit ethernet cards. To set it up, just plug the crossover cable into each computers network card and on the destination drive set up a folder with file sharing then find it in network places and just copy it over.

In theory, yes, but there are many quirks that happen with networking....

<<seS>>Saint

Cromewell said:

Autoflow now keep in mind, your firewall might not allow you to see your other computer over the network. Just keep that in mind because it can create problems. Or just disconnect yourself from the internet (this is important) and disable your firewall(s).

Last edited:

Bigshow1030

network

I would just disable the firewall and go through the network like the other people have said, you should get a very fast transfer that you will be happy with if you go with the cable that was previously suggested

autoflow

thanks before trying to disconnect the internet i tried the transfer and it only took about 15 mins. which is alot better then the 432 mins it had orginally said.

ripken2004

it rly only took 15 min for 10 gigs? wow thats fast i have a crossover cable but ive never used it for sharing big files, i use it for IPX gaming where u hook up 2 comps directly. i love playing warcraft II :)

autoflow

I can only seem to get it to work if i start everything from the one computer. Oh well im gonna move the computer and try it with no firewall or internet connection.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What is the fastest way to transfer data between computers excluding modem speed. I need to send like 10 gigs to my laptop from my pc and then back after I reformat.
Copy-paste drive-to-drive :)

A CAT 5 Cable but there is a variation it's called a Crossover Cable (there's like two wires crossed in the cable) this will transfer 100mb a second. That is probably your best bet
LOL 100Mbit isnt much comapred to the ATA133 spec :p

It will be 10Mb/sec unless they have gigabit ethernet cards.
Even with GBit yer cap will be the drive interface and drive :)

In theory, yes, but there are many quirks that happen with networking....
Anything in particular you have in mind....?

Autoflow now keep in mind, your firewall might not allow you to see your other computer over the network. Just keep that in mind because it can create problems. Or just disconnect yourself from the internet (this is important) and disable your firewall(s).
Yes but when one says "copy over the network" its assumed that negotiating firewalls is taken care of

kof2000

they have no problem seeing my xbox on the network LOL. BUT it wont access the other two computers.

Bobo

banned
kof2000 said:
they have no problem seeing my xbox on the network LOL. BUT it wont access the other two computers.

Are they the same OS??

Praetor said:
Anything in particular you have in mind....?
Our router goes boom about 3 times a week(just stops working, I have to unplug it)