FAT32 drive appearing as RAW on another PC

Joshua Brown

Hey! I'm working on a retro gaming computer and the OS is FreeDOS 1.2. I'm using a PCI-SATA card and I've got a 1tb WD Black drive working great on the retro PC, so everything is fine there.

The problem is that I've got about 7000 DOS games on the drive and I'm very slowly going through them all to get them running individually. In that effort, I thought I'd bring the drive over to my normal, 21st century PC to take care of some of the workload (decompressing archives, unpacking CD images, etc).

I've tried this on a few different modern WIN10 PC's at the house and it's coming up the same. The HDD (a 3.5 internal HDD, hooked up with one of those SATA-to-USB deals with separate power) is appearing in the left-hand pane, but when I try to access it, it's saying...well, it *was* saying "device not ready" but now, no amount of clicking seems to do anything.

When I try to access it through CMD, it says "the device is not ready." When I run CHKDSK E: it says "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

In EaseUS Partition Master, it shows as a FAT32 drive: E:FREEDOS2016 (FAT32) - which is correct, because I guess FreeDOS uses a hacked version of Windows XP's DOS ...ah...framework. Or maybe it was Windows 98's, or 2000's. Either way, it's installed with and runs on FAT32.

And just to be sure that transferring it from the old PC to the new PC didn't somehow mess anything up, I brought it back to the retro PC and it's still working fine.

Last edited: