Faulty Installation?

T0t

For some reason, I think I installed my ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb vid card incorrectly. This was my second video card installation but my first video card that required it to be hooked up to the psu. I obviously called my comps tech support so they could walk me through this step. One thing to keep in mind is that I have two fans installed. The instructions on the 9800 Pro set to install one end of the cable hooked up the 9800 PRO to the psu and the other one to the hard drive. When I called tech support the guy assisting me said to hook one end up to the psu and the other end onto a fan. Af first I thought this seemed logical, I mean the fan is connected to the HD, so why not connect the vid card to the fan. I told him what the instructions said, but he said to trust him. He does build computers for a living. So I trusted him. I've always wondered wether I installed it inccorectly or not.

T0t

Anyone? I dont mean to sound like a pest but this is quite urgent. I just want to know wether I installed it correctly or not.

alexkolb

but on the second thought :) the sequential connection reduces the power which goes to both devides , card and fan.
So i don't know if the amount of power that fan takes is significant to affect card's performance, but i would connect them separatelly, just in case...
The tech guys aren't always knowledgeable (freaking Dell support doesn't know anything for example , last time they told me that Wireless G router can use bluetooth card as an wireless adapter :)) ). Go by the manual... ATI knows better