Few minor/major problems

Motorcharge

Well-Known Member
Ok so I got it posting AND staying on finally. Heatsink wasn't down all the way, this is why I shouldn't do PC work at 3 AM. :D

Anyway, still 2 small problems.

1. Can't get it to boot from disk. Would changing the boot order and putting the DVD drive first solve that? Option isn't showing up when I hit F8 either, just safe mode and a few similar options. DVD drive only connects by the ribbon cable and power right?

2. USB/keyboard and mouse not working. When it's posting and everything it detects my mouse and keyboard but it doesn't once I get to the XP login screen. Theres PS/2 keyboard input on the motherboard but none for the mouse. Any ideas?
 
First of all, you should have stayed in your original thread, would have been less confusing. And everybody could keep track of your progress. As far as booting to cd first, you would have to go into the bios to change that setting, you can't do that by tapping F8 which is used for entering safe mode. Also while your in the bios, check the setting for legacy usb(usb keyboard/mouse settings) and make sure that is enabled. Doing this should fix both your problems.
 
My bad.
Did the the USB thing first, it didn't fix it.
Was able to boot from disk, but it's dying again when it starts the XP setup. Does fine if I boot normally other than not having keyboard and mouse.
 
I'm guessing the CPU is still getting too hot. Gonna get some new thermal compound later and clean it up and reapply and see if it helps. I ran out and didn't put much on.
 
All you really need is a drop of about the size of a pea and spread it around, not too thick.
 
Back
Top