Few questions about installing linux?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Will my old laptop be able to support the latest linux OS? Dell inspiron b130, 1.6 GHz celeron, 512 MB of memory, 50 GB HDD. And since I would be instaling a different OS on there how would I install my old drivers?
 
Well I'm glad to hear that it will run but I am curious what about installing my drivers. I have always bought prebuilt computers so this is my first time installing a OS so a little nervious.
 
It'll be fine. I don't have much experience with Linux, but from the times I've used it, I've gathered it's pretty simple. My Wireless Reciever was working straight away, so I didn't need drivers for that. When I tried to enable desktop effects, it told me I needed new drivers and started to download them for me. So it's all pretty simple.
 
Well I'm glad to hear that it will run but I am curious what about installing my drivers.
Don't have to; in 99% of cases the default drivers / the stuff on the installation disc will work fine. Usually it's wireless that's causing the problems if any; though now that Atheros has gone open source that is changing fast. If any proprietary drivers need to be installed, it's a matter of few mouse clicks. Really simple TBH; unless the wireless drivers are the problem, those can be a pain to get working (welcome to the terminal).
 
ubuntu, what happen was xp wouldn't boot up and since I do not use this laptop anymore so I fighure I would reformat it with ubuntu linux, wanted to try a new OS. When I went through the help manager, I went through a program it told me to and it said that it was disabled and that it shouldn't be a problem to go through windows (which is no longer on there) and turn it on. So do you know a way to turn it back on or could you recommend a cheap external wireless card that I could purchase that is compatible. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I can't get my wireless to work so what do I do?
What have you tried to get it working?

I just had a bit of a deeper look into your laptop specs and found this which may prove helpfull:) It talks about using Ndiswrapper.

Good Luck
 
Well it recognizes my wireless card but it says I have to go through windows to turn it on cause I guess when I turned it on last when xp was working I had turned it off. But online I found a external wireless card compatible with ubuntu Linux, a Edimax 54 Mbps Wireless USB stick with Antenna.
 
Last edited:
Except for when it isn't. I've had a good luck with my hardware and Ubuntu, but there are some who haven't been quite so fortunate.

Ive been fortunate on my desktop but my old laptop was a pain to get the wireless working. It took some doing, but eventually everything came together.
 
Thanks guys, I was able to turn it on but it is not compatible. I am going to buy this external wireless card.
 
Back
Top