few random questions

well i have learned a lot since i have been on here, but there is still just a few random thing im not too sure about. whats the best anti virus? other then the OS is there any difference between a mac and a PC? and becuase most motherboards dont have very many usb 3.0 spots on them, can you buy anything that will turn one of those in to say 2 or 3, so you could have more usb 3.0 things plugged in to your computer. and what kind of cool things could i fit in to the 5.25 inch bays in the front, im sure some companies must make something cool to put in there other then like a cheap plastic drawer. i just wanna fill up some of the space and see if theres anything cool i could do it with, all i would have there now would be an optical drive and fan controller

BassAddict

The best Anti-Malware is a mute subject, because there a lot of great ones out there. I prefer using AVG Free, because it can detect viruses and malware that corporate versions can't. Also, there is a Root-Kit scan, which you don't find on many free based Anti-Malware.

You said besides the OS, is there any differences? Are you talking about just the UI then? Or, are you talking about hardware wise?

You can plug a USB hub into a USB port. You can technically have up to 256 USB ports operate on a single computer.

Here is a list of 5.25 bay options: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=11&name=Controller-Panels

Last edited:
The best Anti-Malware is a mute subject, because there a lot of great ones out there. I prefer using AVG Free, because it can detect viruses and malware that corporate versions can't. Also, there is a Root-Kit scan, which you don't find on many free based Anti-Malware.

You said besides the OS, is there any differences? Are you talking about just the UI then?

You can plug a USB hub into a USB port. You can technically have up to 256 USB ports operate on a single computer.

Here is a list of 5.25 bay options: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=11&name=Controller-Panels

thanks :) and no i meant like actual parts, like is a mac pretty much just a PC with a different OS?

BassAddict

Well I am just starting to learn about Linux, so that means I will also be learning more about Mac OS as well. I know Apple had proprietary hardware before, but now I believe Apple supports the x86 architecture. Before it was the Power PC (RISC) architecture.

Hopefully someone can chime in. I know the new Lion OS supports x86 natively. But previous versions I am not too sure about yet.

claptonman

They use the same processors and all that. They are made better, like the casing and all that, and their screens are really nice, but not worth the extra price, for me.

jonnyp11

overpriced as crap unless you get them refurber like my dad did, but when they screw up and stuff and in the end after a month and 2 trips you get a 1 month old barely used imac 27" for like 1100 with an i7-860 and a 512 mb HD4850, then they're a good deal, i mean the screen is f*cking AMAZING, the most beautiful and clear screen you've ever seen x10, but then again i'm used to a 17" 1280x1024, so that's expected, idk if they are 1080p or the 2560 one, but WOW