File Lock

Alan1ar1s

Hi guys I am new in the forum and I just want your suggestions about a problem I have.
I want to lock a file (not a whole folder). For example I have a document file and I want to lock it so no-one except me to have permission to open it. I don't want to put it in a folder and lock the whole folder. Is there any good program for that?

Thank you

adarsh

You mean Microsoft Office documents? You can set passwords while you are saving the file itself.

Alan1ar1s

haha
mate this is the easiest and most 'dead as a dodo' way to hide a file from anyone else
Anyone knows that you can find a lot just changing the folder options :p

adarsh

Yes, for Microsoft Documents, you can set passwords so that only you can access them.
Open Microsoft Word
  • Click on "Tools" and select, "Options".
  • Click on the tab, "Security."
  • Now, you will be able to see the fields for, "Password to open" and "Password to Modify".
And like eye-Q has suggested, you can hide the files in their file properties.

Alan1ar1s

hmm I will try it

Yes but as I said above this is a method that anyone knows and anyone can have a solution. I mean just changing the folder options and a little admixing and you can find the file ;)

eye-Q

another good solution is to have all the files you wanna protect in the same password protected folder. Try the Microsoft Private Folder. you can download it its free. :)

Last edited:

adarsh

Please check this link.

Please note that I have not tested out this software, and hence do not take any responsibility on your usage or the software's behaviour.

eye-Q

i have check it and i am still using it, it is ok. Note that it needs a validation from Microsoft to work! You can find it here

Alan1ar1s

guys I just found another good program for locking and encrypting data on files & folders This is the Universal Shield 4.0 and you can find it here
:cool:

charly

Yes, for Microsoft Documents, you can set passwords so that only you can access them.

open macro/VB editor
make some lines like open .. keyword: = xxxx
add a loop and ...:cool:

making that code takes 10 mins and works with excel, word .. whatever !
to be save, it's better to use PGP (pretty good privacy) or something like that

ciao