File name remains

crescere

I have noticed that after withdrawing a USB thumb drive that the title of my file remains under “recent files” in File Explorer in Windows 10. When I click on the title the file does not come up since I removed the thumb drive. However, is this one of those cautionary situations where remnants of the original file still remain and can be recovered? If so how do I “erase” my files which I consider to be confidential.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
However, is this one of those cautionary situations where remnants of the original file still remain and can be recovered?
No. It's just showing up as a recently accessed file with the file path. But since the file cannot be found after the flashdrive is removed, nothing can be done with it.

crescere

Voyager, thanks for answering. I read elsewhere here in another post that when on the web downloaded files are the same as files like pictures that you merely view. You are saying that files from a thumb drive do not stick. I just want to clarify and get your opinion. Are there any differences between files that are downloaded, viewed as you surf the Web(eg pictures) or files on a USB thumb drive that you view put then withdraw the stick? Do any of these difer in requiring further deletion?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to clear this up for you.

As you browse the internet, your browser will store images, pics, etc in cache so the next time yo visit the page it loads faster. These will actual require deleting at some point in time. However in your case, recent files are just that, just a link, nothing physically stored on your hard drive unless that is where the file is saved at. Yours was stored on the usb stick, so there will be nothing to delete from your pc.

crescere

These will actual require deleting at some point in time. However in your case, recent files are just that, just a link, nothing physically stored on your hard drive unless that is where the file is saved at. Yours was stored on the usb stick, so there will be nothing to delete from your pc.

Thanks John, you are always helpful. Since we are on the topic what is the best method of cleaning cache? I use CCleaner now. Also, what is your opinion on the amount of times it takes to delete unwanted files? Some say one write over is enough others say it takes 35 times.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I use Ccleaner and then now and then I use TFC to get the files Ccleaner misses. Mulitple erases are required when you don't want recovery of a file. From what I understand, Ccleaner doesn't do a very good job at this. I'm not sure what program would be best at doing this though. Might have to do a bit of legwork to find out.

crescere

Let me try to clear this up for you.

As you browse the internet, your browser will store images, pics, etc in cache so the next time yo visit the page it loads faster. These will actual require deleting at some point in time. However in your case, recent files are just that, just a link, nothing physically stored on your hard drive unless that is where the file is saved at. Yours was stored on the usb stick, so there will be nothing to delete from your pc.

John I did some further research and I found that some are saying when you use a thumb drive some images can be stored in the thumbnail cache. After I used a USB stick I looked in C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and found over a thousand KB of data there from the day I used the stick. I could not click on the data to view what was there, but I would certainly like to know. When I tried to delete these files they just reappeared. I use thumb drives in public computers, work, and client offices. I can not have some of my data being accessed. Do you know what is occurring here, and how I can delete it? Thank you.

crescere

John, yes I saw that during my research. If you read the comments some of the responders are saying that method does NOT work. I tried method 1 using Windows disk cleanup and I still see many files for the date I inserted the USB thumb drive. I delete the files and they just reappear. Why won't they stay deleted? You know a great deal about computers, but it seems even you were under the impression that such files were not put on the hard drive based on your response above. Thank you for your advice.

crescere

John, usually I would have received an answer by now. I hope you don't think I am just being argumentative here, but I just can't make this work. I used the Disk Cleanup and restarted my computer yet many files remain in C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

If I try to delete them directly they just reappear. Computers always seem to have exceptions, bugs, backdoors, leaks, workarounds, etc. I just want to understand and be secure in my computer use. Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah unfortunately, I don't have any other help to offer at the moment. Unless you are doing something illegal or something, I wouldn't worry too much about left over files.

crescere

Yeah unfortunately, I don't have any other help to offer at the moment. Unless you are doing something illegal or something, I wouldn't worry too much about left over files.

I use USB thumb drives at client offices, public computers etc. I don't want confidential financial or legal information to be left behind.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

crescere

Also, have you tried using TFC temp file cleaner?

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/file...e9b369b15ad/tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer

I know it deletes more then what Ccleaner does.

John i could not get that link to work, but I found this one: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

Thanks

After cleaning when i look in C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer I see many files with iconcache and thumbcache that have 1024 KB. Some have only 1KB. I don’t know what those are.

Actually, the program yo recommended can be used on MY computer, but there is no way I could install another program on other computers. That is my primary concern.

Last edited: