Final build

Backwoods166

Heres my final build for review. Will order in the next few days after I get the 'All Clear' from you guys. Do I need to order extra cables? Thermal gel? A Dell? Oreo's and milk? This is everything I am going to purchase for build. I have an old keyboard and mouse :rolleyes:.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz -$189.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775(screw crossfire) -$119.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) -$54.99

MSI R4870-T2D1G Radeon HD 4870 1GB -$229.99

Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V -$99.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm -$36.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM -$74.99

LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW -$29.99

Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD -$189.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium -$99.99

Antec 900 -$109.99

Total: $1236.89 (excludes tax, shipping and rebates)

Will this play Diablo II?!?! :D

Last edited:

SSMUFF

Great rig. The Antec 900 is on sale right now. You can get up to $60 off. Search for newegg codes.

Ramodkk

VIP Member

Backwoods166

Thanks a bunch! The reason I went over by so much is that I plan on trying to overclock and possibly crossfire. Furthermore I have no idea how much power I need for doing that so I just picked a high one :D

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Well, if you're gonna crossfire then the PSU you had is fine. Although for one card, 650W is more than enough, even if you're gonna overclock

Backwoods166

Well, if you're gonna crossfire then the PSU you had is fine. Although for one card, 650W is more than enough, even if you're gonna overclock

hrm. Well if I wasn't going to crossfire I could save a few bucks all around (mobo/psu). What are the chances I am actually going to feel the need to use 2x 4870? I am coming off a dell 8200 with a 16mb geforce crap. I wanted to leave the door open for it but I am thinking that crossfire is way over kill now.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I've always believed that multiple GPU configurations are not worth the money. Simply because you basically get 1+1=1.5 when talking SLi or Crossfire. That is not to say however, that it is completely worthless. Some people have the money and as an enthusiast, like to have the top notch stuff or simply have it for benching and stuff. That is just my opinion though.

I would stick with one HD4870. That way, you can get a cheaper mobo/PSU and in the future, if you feel like you need more juice, it is much simpler to just get a new GPU (whatever's top-of-the-line at the time) and not having to get rid of two video cards...

Again, that's just me. :p

BTW, going from that GeForce 16MB crap graphics card to a HD4870 would be like comparing an ant to a skyscraper. Literally ;)

Backwoods166

I've always believed that multiple GPU configurations are not worth the money. Simply because you basically get 1+1=1.5 when talking SLi or Crossfire. That is not to say however, that it is completely worthless. Some people have the money and as an enthusiast, like to have the top notch stuff or simply have it for benching and stuff. That is just my opinion though.

I would stick with one HD4870. That way, you can get a cheaper mobo/PSU and in the future, if you feel like you need more juice, it is much simpler to just get a new GPU (whatever's top-of-the-line at the time) and not having to get rid of two video cards...

Again, that's just me. :p

BTW, going from that GeForce 16MB crap graphics card to a HD4870 would be like comparing an ant to a skyscraper. Literally ;)

Wise words my friend. Updated main page with new mobo/psu for none crossfire money savings. Still pondering switching to a cheaper 4870.

Anyone know if I need to order extra cables? Thermal gel paste stuff?

azwebs

You will definitely need thermal paste for your processor/heatsink. About cables, I'm not sure. Which of your parts are OEM?? Those are the ones that come without cables (although sometimes you get some with the motherboard).

Backwoods166

You will definitely need thermal paste for your processor/heatsink. About cables, I'm not sure. Which of your parts are OEM?? Those are the ones that come without cables (although sometimes you get some with the motherboard).

Why thank you kind sir. I was not aware that oem parts did not come with their own cables. I will change my order accordingly. Zip Zop Zoobity Bop.

azwebs

No problem, I found that with my first build. Like for the hard drives and optical drives, you will need SATA cables etc. But if they are retail versions (eg boxed as you would buy in a shop) then they should come with everything you need. OEM's also may require fitting screws, but you can get about a hundred for something like £2 ($3).

Michael

The codes at the link below are generally updates within minutes of a sale:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/newegg.com

Check there for codes/sales on newegg :)

You should also create an account on newegg, and select the option to receive special offers and promos, otherwise newegg (sometimes) disables the codes at checkout.

-Michael

EDIT: Here's the code for that case:

Get $60 off an Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. Subscribers only, exp 01/19/2009. This is the one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GNEFL011309-_-Computer Cases-_-L2A-_-11129021

EMCABBDAC

EDIT 2: It's only $30 off. Not worth it when shipping is $19. I believe people are saying it's $60 off because the case is on sale for $30 less, plus the coupon means -$60.

eggma2.png

Last edited:

Backwoods166

not worth it?!?! How is it not worth it?!? = free shipping +$10 off. I am ordering my case today just so I can get in before the sale ends 1/19. :p