Final Decsion - Which One?

Jack Bauer

banned
Proved wrong? Excuse me? I can easily come up with a screenshot which shows stock 640mb being outperformed by 320mb ko acs3 in 1280x1024 if you want me to, can you do the opposite? Yeah I thought so.

Wow screenshots that is really good evidence....not. You can easily alter screenshots in paint or photoshop nice try though.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];676597 said:
wow... You can also buy overclocked versions of the 640MB to.

If you compare the 320 and 640 versions at the same clock speed, you wont notice a difference performance wise if you play on lower resolutions.

And as I said before, it's extremely easy to overclock them yourself. Save your money and buy the cheapest 8800GTS you can, then overclock it yourself.

There is one major factor no one ever brought up. You purchase pre overclocked hardware it does not void the warranty. You purchase a vanilla card and over clock it yourself, you void the warranty. Also, even though you are correct with things like firmware flashes and riva tuner, it is very easy to over clock your video card. However, I have seen a lot of video cards go bad a lot quicker because it puts more stress on them.

Cards which are designed to be over clocked tend to have better electronic components on them. My friend had a vanilla 6800 that he over clocked to just under a 6800 GT because they are physically the same card, but after about 1.5 years of use it dies on him at times and gives artifacting. So, its a risk you have to take.

which kind of all goes back to my philosophy is that over clocking is dumb and really is not needed.

nffc10

Why do you insist on intimidating this guy? Does it really matter if he don't know what superclocked means?

Geoff

VIP Member
There is one major factor no one ever brought up. You purchase pre overclocked hardware it does not void the warranty. You purchase a vanilla card and over clock it yourself, you void the warranty. Also, even though you are correct with things like firmware flashes and riva tuner, it is very easy to over clock your video card. However, I have seen a lot of video cards go bad a lot quicker because it puts more stress on them.

Cards which are designed to be over clocked tend to have better electronic components on them. My friend had a vanilla 6800 that he over clocked to just under a 6800 GT because they are physically the same card, but after about 1.5 years of use it dies on him at times and gives artifacting. So, its a risk you have to take.

which kind of all goes back to my philosophy is that over clocking is dumb and really is not needed.
Theres a huge difference between overclocking and unlocking. Unlocking extra units or pipelines on your card by flashing it with another BIOS is how you can screw things up, and void your warranty.

If you just use a Windows-based overclocking utility to raise the speed of the Core and memory, the worst thing that will happen is that it will crash, causing your PC to restart. Then all you need to do is lower the speed. And also, if you do somehow damage it this way, theres no evidence of it on the card, so you should still be able to RMA it.

As i said before, the only way to actually damage a card is by overvolting it, flashing it, or unlocking it.

And about your philosophy, I can see that if your from the business world you want devices to be as stable as possible, and last as long as possible. However for gamers, overclocking is the best thing to happen to computing.

Heres an example. Say you want an 8800 Ultra but cant afford it, so you buy an 8800GTX and overclock it. Now you have an 8800 Ultra for the price of a GTX.

Diorhomme

Finally a person with some common sense. Like I said in my other post:

Stock 320mb is $290, acs3 ko is $330, $40 difference right? For those $40 you get a guaranteed overclock, slightly better cooling and a game which retails for $30 (Dark messiah), all that for $40 extra makes it worth it for me.

Geoff

VIP Member
Proved wrong? Excuse me? I can easily come up with a screenshot which shows stock 640mb being outperformed by 320mb ko acs3 in 1280x1024 if you want me to, can you do the opposite? Yeah I thought so.
Thats true, because they are the same exact GPU!!

Even if you overclock the 320MB by 20Mhz, it will outperform the 640MB at that resolution.

Now run that test at 1900x1200 and see if you get the same results.

Diorhomme

[-0MEGA-];676649 said:
Thats true, because they are the same exact GPU!!

Even if you overclock the 320MB by 20Mhz, it will outperform the 640MB at that resolution.

Now run that test at 1900x1200 and see if you get the same results.

I think I've mentioned about 10 times already that the card I've recommended is the best choice only for 1280x1024, anything higher 640mb is an obvious choice.

nffc10

Whatever, i'll leave it between you two. None of my business.;)

EDIT: Intel he isn't at school....

Well why do you keep asking him questions then? Not everyone knows everything.
Why are you asking me for?:rolleyes:

It is called a joke. <that was a statement. He thinks he is God of video cards or something, I like this forum, don't come in here bashing it b/c of age, or what you think is better, I guess that is why you are labeled with BRONZE

tlarkin

VIP Member
Write it down, take a picture, do w/e. 1st thing: you showed disrespect to the entire forum. It is like a Communist in America.

Like a communist in America? Jesus H Christ!

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more retarded, someone please lock it before ignorance starts a flame war. Well there is already a flame war in process

and who cares if he is wrong, intel, I have seen you post things that are also wrong. Who gives a flying crap? I normally charge for my time, starting at $50.00/hour so any advice I give on here is free. Yes that is right I do consulting and contracting on the side and have many side clients from home users to small and even a few larger businesses. mainly because no one knows crap about mac and I have to go in and deploy mac stuff in a windows environment sometimes. Its cheaper for larger companies to contract me out once than to hire someone who knows how to use google.

So, what he was wrong, you are wrong I am wrong everyone is wrong. He actually had a few valid points. Maybe he got all butt hurt because you proved him wrong. So drop it, quit egging him on, it makes both of you look like little retards trying to figure out how to fu*k a foot ball.