Finally going for a custom loop

Buzz1927

Digaredd
You know, in all honesty, I've had a silver coil sitting in my loop for a year now with the system I have and its absolutely fine. There's no damage to the blocks and such. And I've only cleaned the system once and it runs on almost a 24 hour basis.

I don't use special coolants but I'm also not afraid of using a coil.
I've tried telling bigfella a similar thing in the past, don't bother, he's an "authority" on water cooling and what he says is correct :p

Edit: And I've had silver in my loop for about 2 years without any problems, it was only EK that saw a problem

Last edited:

salvage-this

Thanks for the link bigfella. I'll take a look at it and see what I think is right. Just wondering what do you use for a coolant? Just want to see what others are using so far I have plenty of responses that are voting for silver coil and PTNuke.

Okedokey

I've tried telling bigfella a similar thing in the past, don't bother, he's an "authority" on water cooling and what he says is correct :p

Edit: And I've had silver in my loop for about 2 years without any problems, it was only EK that saw a problem

Pulled apart the blocks? I think not.

salvage-this

No need to argue about it. I am looking into it.

I would like the answers to these questions

Bigfella, what coolant are you running?

Does anyone have any insight or an opinion to the question that I posted about in post #16.

If I can't get that figured out I am just going to drop the loop. No point in handing over $450 for a glorified H100 that I can customize the colors on....

Okedokey

No need to argue about it. I am looking into it.

I would like the answers to these questions

Bigfella, what coolant are you running?

Does anyone have any insight or an opinion to the question that I posted about in post #16.

If I can't get that figured out I am just going to drop the loop. No point in handing over $450 for a glorified H100 that I can customize the colors on....

Add ANY metal to a water cooling loop and eventually you will have a galvanic cell.

I use Dynalene FC, which is a non-ionic coolant. No silver, not bs.

Okedokey

IVe responded several times. Well done, great it worked for you. But, you cannot deny the laws of chemistry and physics, nor the several references i have included, nor the alternatives to silver.

Last edited:

salvage-this

The Chemistry and Physics are right. However what I am seeing in other threads and tests that I have been looking over is that the time that it takes for real, noticeable corrosive damage is likely to be in the range that either you would flush out the system, add new parts, switch the config of the loop, etc. The point being that unless you are planning on having the loop for a significant amount of time, far longer than most of us that are so heavily into PCs that we cool them with water, the corrosion will be minimal.

Martin had a loop that he just threw together with tap water and PTNuke. 18 months and it was still clear with no visible damage or degradation in the loop.

Look at top of the line watercooling parts from 4 years ago. Most of them would be so outdated that it would be dumb to use them in a current system. So I understand that you want to build it the best that you can to not have any damage but you are really the only person that I have talked to that is so convinced that water is the worst thing that could possibly be used in a liquid system.

Just FYI I am not talking about Galvanic Corrosion. I know not to use Aluminum with the other metals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway. I would still like an answer to the question that I had in Post 14. After the Chemistry rants got started I can't get anyone to tell me what they used to calculate what radiators they would need. The loop will not be useful to me long enough to see corrosion if It does not yield good results. So can we please look into that topic?? I'm getting pretty sick of this thread given it's current direction.

Last edited:

salvage-this

I might use the same coolant that you use when I end up going that route. For now I am looking into more important things. Any help with radiator requirements and the actual math behind the loop would be greatly appreciated.

Okedokey

Well first you use Newton's cooling law (look up thermodynamics of liquids); to estimate the actual water temperature at each component:

Equation is a = b + (b-y)*k

Where:

a is water temp post radiator
b is water temp before raditator
y is ambient temperature
k is radiator specific constant

Component heat outputs:

GPU - 230W (factoring in overclocking and pump heat).

Average water temperature will be:

C/W * heat
= 0.07 * 230W = ~4oC above ambient.

Realistically, I would say between 4 and 10 degrees above ambient when at equilibrium. So be expecting CPU temps of around 30 - 50 oC.

Last edited:

salvage-this

Great thanks for that explanation. I'll take a deeper look into that a bit later.

Do you have any insight on post 16? I did the math with the equation that I linked in post 14 and I got the same numbers that both of the reviews did. Do you see any differences that would give off such different results?