Finally ready to purchase...

RAW

After going back and forth on different systems, I think I'm going to go with this one:

AMD A64 3200( 939 )
Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mainboard
OCZ 1GB Dual Channel Premiere
Gigabyte 6600GT 128M
160G SATA HD
1.44M Floppy Drive
Antec Sonata Case w/ 380W Truepower
LG 4163B 16x DVD Burner
LG 16x DVD-ROM
56K Modem
On Board Sound / Lan / USB
Altec Lansing Subwoofer Speakers
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX DUO

Final Price WITH 15% tax (damn Ontario): $1273.05 CDN ($1,035.14 USD)

Some final questions:

1. The Sonata case comes with one standard fan. Should I opt to install another one? I don't plan to overclock right away, I'll only be gaming. Is the cooling sufficient enough with only one fan?

2. Do I need that extra LG DVD-ROM drive? If the DVD burner can play and read everything (just about), what would I need that DVD-ROM drive for?

That's about it. Any comments? Is this an OK deal?

Thanks.

1. One fan should be enough, if not you can always get another later.

2. I would recommend the extra DVD drive, that way you won't wear your burning drive out, but if it cost over 35USD for it forget it, could could get a sucky DVD burner for that, I would only spend ~20USD for the DVD Drive

apj101

VIP Member
that doesn seem expensive, where are you getting it from, for example
AMD A64 3200( 939 )
Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mainboard
the cpu should cost - $190
and the motherboard should cost about - $92

56K Modem
are you actually buying a dialup modem?

1. The Sonata case comes with one standard fan. Should I opt to install another one? I don't plan to overclock right away, I'll only be gaming. Is the cooling sufficient enough with only one fan?
i would but another one, for either the fornt or the back (which ever one is not provided by sonata
You will also need a cpu heatsink and fan (hsf), ensure that you are getting one with the cpu you are buying, if you oem you normally dont get a hsf

Do I need that extra LG DVD-ROM drive? If the DVD burner can play and read everything (just about), what would I need that DVD-ROM drive for?
well this depend on wether you intend to backup your dvds, if you do you can use the second dvd to burn directly to the next blank dvd. Personally i dont see it as nessessary as you can rip the dvd to your hard drive and then burn it to a blank dvd.
I would drop the second drive and put the cash towards something else.

Antec Sonata Case w/ 380W Truepower
that should cost about $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129127#DetailSpecs
if you ever intend on overclocking you are going to need to get a better psu and not use the one that comes with your case. Maybe pick up a cheaper case and put the saved cash towards an new psu?????