Finaly build my new pc

Well I have finaly put all my new gear together and I must say it was alot harder than I expected it to be. First of all I used a CM690 case and although the case has a cable managment system it is a pain in the ass. I brought 2 9800gtx's and a Asus P5N-D mobo. The cable management got in the way of both of them. First of all there was only just enough room to fit the mobo because of the black plastic clips the stick out of the case to hold cables back, there is only a couple of milimeters between the mobo and the cable holders. I had to bend and break 2 so I could fit the gpu's in. They just overshot the end of the mobo and got stuck on the cable holders. Apart from that the case is fantastic. The mobo is also problematic. First of all it is as SLI mobo however the is very little space inbetween PCI-E slots, the 9800gtx only just fit. Also the SATA ports are just at the end of the second pci-e slot so I could only install 2 drives and had to use IDE dvd drives. So just a warning to anyone who is thinking of using the same hardware as i did.
 
Yeah, I've had similary issues with my recent build. I bought a thermaltake M9 case and it didn't seem to like my Radeon 3870 x2 very much. I had to take off the toolless part for the pci slots in order to get the card to work because it wasn't designed to work with cards that take up two slots. It's typically best to do your own cable managment as well, zip ties and such. Stuff that is designed to work with everything typically doesn't.
 
Yeah, I will say one thing. With the power supply i got for my newest build the cable clutter in my M9 is very minimal. I was very happy with how it looked when I was all done. I put some blue cathode tubes in it and the case it's self has two 120mm blue fans. I probably should have went with red seeing as how the ATI card takes up about 1/4 of the case. I have to take it out every time i want to work on anything because it's so big.
 
Custom mods and breaking things two very different things. I didn't have to break anything with mine so it wasn't that big a deal. childsy did have to break stuff. Having to break stuff is not cool.
 
Back
Top