Finding a cooler for the E6850

I have heard Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 and Zalman CNPS9700, any others that are good? Suggestions? I would love the Zalman CNPS9700, it is so expensive though.

Thanks

WeatherGeek

I have the E6600 with the Tuniq Tower 120. For me it's a great cooler, a bit heavy on the motherboard though. It costs about $60, i bought the LED version for 55 or 60 from Frozencpu.com

If I go with the 9500, I might as well fork out the extra money for the 9700. I have also heard of the tuniq, I will check it out.

Jet

VIP Member
INTELCRAZY, they both will work. Just because something is "designed" for C2D doesn't mean a thing. Kinda like games that are "best when played with a Nvidia graphics." The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is the best air cooler out there, but it is a bit expensive.

What would be something for a mATX case? That thing is tall but looks good and effective. I think my next build will be mATX, G33 DS2, E6850, and 8800 or 8900 of some type.

Thanks

Jet

VIP Member
So you've decided against the Q6600?

If you are building a performance computer, you don't generally want to get mATX, as by far most (if not all) enthusiast/performance motherboards are ATX. Also, fitting a 8800 or 8900 in a mATX case is going to be really tight, in addition to getting a PSU to support it. It is also going to be harder to cool in that tight of a space.

I'm not saying you can't, but I'd suggest you reconsider. If you do end up getting a mATX case, make sure that the case can support a full ATX PSU, rather than a mATX PSU, as high quality, high wattage mATX psus are hard to come by.

So you've decided against the Q6600?

If you are building a performance computer, you don't generally want to get mATX, as by far most (if not all) enthusiast/performance motherboards are ATX. Also, fitting a 8800 or 8900 in a mATX case is going to be really tight, in addition to getting a PSU to support it. It is also going to be harder to cool in that tight of a space.

I'm not saying you can't, but I'd suggest you reconsider. If you do end up getting a mATX case, make sure that the case can support a full ATX PSU, rather than a mATX PSU, as high quality, high wattage mATX psus are hard to come by.

The case is this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...be_Case_w_Window_-_Black_VF6000BWS.html#blank

It uses full size ATX PS2 PSU, it says it has room for cooling a high-end CPU, and enough room for an 8800.

Thanks

Jet

VIP Member
Looks nice, but the main issue is the really tiny exhaust fans and the low clearance between the PSU and where the CPU heatsink would be. You'll be lucky to fit a 9500 in there, from my judgement.

Looks nice, but the main issue is the really tiny exhaust fans and the low clearance between the PSU and where the CPU heatsink would be. You'll be lucky to fit a 9500 in there, from my judgement.

It says it has room for an 8800, under "Features". If it doesn't I will call Thermaltake and FrozenCPU, to chew them out, that is false advertising.

Jet

VIP Member
If it says so, it probably will. It is just about the CPU cooler that I'm concerned about.

I am just going to go ATX with this CM Centurion 5 and use the liquid cooling system that you first displayed, that has the pump and everything I need, correct? I think I could modify the acrylic on the side to accommodate those radiator fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

Thanks guys

Last edited: