Finding Printer IP Address.

Rip_Uk

Just a quick question, I found this in printer properties or something last week but cannot find it now. I'm looking how to find my printers IP address so I can create a network printer.

Last edited:

foreyes

Exactly what I need to know (sort of...)! I'm running a Windows 2k server with 3 separate servers sharing the work. One of them is in a separate room because the main printer is installed to it. I want to get this printer separated so I can have all three dcs in the same room. I've searched online, but can't find any solid information on setting up a network printer. Any help would be appreciated.

foreyes

Thank you. That looked a lot better than anything I found in my searching. I'll let you know if it worked tomorrow when I make it back to where I was working earlier today.

TheChef

If you ever jsut need to know your IP Address, run "cmd" (without quotation marks) and at the prompt type ipconfig.

Rip_Uk

TheChef said:
If you ever jsut need to know your IP Address, run "cmd" (without quotation marks) and at the prompt type ipconfig.

I'm after the IP address of my printer though.

way2evil

what kind of printer is it? its plugged into the router right? if its a hp type in the model on hp.com and d/l the setup app

Rip_Uk

way2evil said:
what kind of printer is it? its plugged into the router right? if its a hp type in the model on hp.com and d/l the setup app

Yes, It is plugged into the router and it is An Epson Stlyus R340, the computer picks it up as "Ready" but it still doesnt accept prints from the computer or laptop (which are wirelessly connected).

Rip_Uk

Nope, it doesnt work at all, the prints go through the computer if it is say a notepad print but dont register with the printer as it seems, but when doing a print test or microsoft word print they don't register at all.

way2evil

so the printer dosent work when plugged into a computer via usb or the big long ugly port? that means its a problem with the printer and not the network

Rip_Uk

Its plugged in USB but in the printer settings in control panel it says "Ready" So it must be ok

Last edited:

way2evil

just because the printer thing says ready dosent mean it is working. have you tried unplugging your printer for a minute, and putting it back in?

foreyes

As far as finding the printer's IP (I don't know if you still need this, but I didn't see anywhere in here that you had found it), it should be actually on the printer somewhere. If it is not on a sticker, or something, you can get to it through the menu. Every printer is different, so I can't say where exactly, but this is how you change it anyways, in case you need to to get it on your network.

apj101

VIP Member
eh?
your not clear on the situation
1. You have a printer
2. You have a wireless router
3. You have a desktop connected to the wireless router
4. You have a laptop connected to the wireless printer
5. The printer is plugged DIRECTLY into the router, as in the cable leaves the back of the printer and goes straight into the router, it never touchs a PC/Lappy

If 5. is true then it is unlikely your printer will even have an ip address. The router is acting as a printer server, they do this by creating a virtual network port that mean a imaginary usb port for example. To conect to it you will specify the ip address of you router, and then conect to any printer attached to the virtual port.

For better instructions i need to know the make and model of the router

Rip_Uk

Yes they are all true, as long as 4. = You have a laptop connected to the wireless router.

how do I find the IP address of the router? The make is GURU and im not sure on the model as of yet because I don't have access to it at the minute.

lethalforce

Print out a test page (button on the printer should do it) then look on it and somewhere it will tell you, it HAS to tell you!

apj101

VIP Member
Print out a test page (button on the printer should do it) then look on it and somewhere it will tell you, it HAS to tell you!
why would the test page tell you IP address of the router?
4. = You have a laptop connected to the wireless router.
yeah that what i meant, my typo

how do I find the IP address of the router?
use ipconfig
google it

Rip_Uk

apj101 said:
use ipconfig
google it

Thanks

If I could get the printer to print I wouldnt be asking this question. hehe (I can print it when the printer is just plugged into the desktop and not acting as a network printer.)

Christian Darrall

you have to set the printer with an ip address, basically, go into the menu on the printer and assign the ip address, you can find this in the manual if you are so truobled. then you assign it as a printer in windows XP