Finding Printer IP Address.

foschia

if its a network printer then you should be able to open command prompt and type ping printer name hit enter and it should return with the ip

Rip_Uk

I have gone into run, typed cmd and then used ipconfig. I have tried to use all three of the IP addresses mentioned and still it will not print. These are;

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway

Im not sure these are ip address' that I should be using for my printer/router.

Any help please?

I have also tried typing Ping (name) but this doesnt work. :(

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
Go into the dhcp table and look to see what doesnt have a name, or doesnt work with your other computer setup... OR (this is good)..

You have 3 PC's? If you do you assign only 4 available local ip's in the router config. You turn all the pcs on and note thir local ip. The last one remaining is the printer.

Unless there is no ip address assigned.

Rip_Uk

Sorry, I have very little knowledge on the subject of networking. Where can I find the dhcp table and how do I assign avavilable local ip's/find the router config?

Trizoy

VIP Member
Rip_Uk said:
Sorry, I have very little knowledge on the subject of networking. Where can I find the dhcp table and how do I assign avavilable local ip's/find the router config?

Ok, you can follow my generic instructions or let me know the router model/make.

First step, login to the router.
-start, run, type cmd, in dos type ipconfig (note the default gateway)

-Go to internet explorer and type in //defaultgateway (to login)

-There should be a LAN section dealing with all the variables INSIDE your network. There will be a number that is close to your default gateway. Example: (Default gateway 192.168.2.1) Local IP pool 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.100. You are defining how many addresses you router is allowed to assign the ALL the computers. If there are 4 addresses available to computers ONLY 4 computers will be able to connect. If you have 3 PC's and the one printer only allow 4 to be used...

-Restart all computers and the printer. Let the printer turn on first.

-Login to the router again. Look for a dhcp connections, or lan connections. It will be a list of people connected. IF you cannot find the table you can look at the ip's of all the other PC's and assume the printers ip. If it is not 3,4 or 5 it must be 2....

Good luck