Firefox (2 or 3) vs new google chrome

alienationware

Hate FireFox with a passion. Love Opera. Will never be a slave to chrome. Using Chrome is like installing a toolbar that spies on you and openly admits it.

alienationware

By the way, all those people applauding the fact that FF3 remembers tabs after you close the brower, that feature was available a LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY that is Opera.

chibicitiberiu

By the way, all those people applauding the fact that FF3 remembers tabs after you close the brower, that feature was available a LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY that is Opera.
What would you expect? We are in The Second Browser War. The first one was between Netscape and Microsoft IE. This one is between IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari etc, they all try to be the best and most used by consumers.
This war means stealing (remember IE7 stealing tabs from other browsers?), and if a browser appears with an unique and cool feature, that feature will be integrated in most of the browser in a couple of years/months.

Mitch?

banned
Chrome's Terms Of Service is a nasty piece of work.

Due to public action they've rewritten the terms/sentences in question, and all changes apply retrospectively to previous downloads.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/update-to-google-chromes-terms-of.html

Like i've said in my thread about Chrome, and 3 others about Chrome, it's a nice browser, and has potential. I Like the clean look, especially if you have minimal screen space (i'm on a 22" though.)
i don't think it's significantly faster or slow than firefox, but is faster than ie 8.
i have 25 tabs opened, all with pages loaded, and i'm only using 6% of my cpu, sometimes 5%, according to task manager, and chromes task manager...
and like 285mb total (browser, plugins, and tabs)...
these aren't small sites either, mostly newsweek and newegg (just kept clicking/opening them in new tabs :p)

for those who don't know, it has it's own task manager (just right click an untabbed spot up top and select task manager)
it also runs each tab as a separate task, which increases memory demands slightly, but if one tab crashes, etc, the others will still function

Last edited:

strjms72

hey.

I had 3 Chrome windows open, each with multiple tabs. One of the tabs locked up and crashed, and it took down all 3 browser windows along with the tabs.

At least if Firefox 3 crashes it offers to reload all the pages you had opened previously. Chrome offered nothing after the crash.

Kesava

Hmmm well the main thing I like about chrome is the speed. However what mine does is when you click a page, it will sorta not show anything for like 3 seconds, and then load it up fully. Which is good because my internet is slow so id only see random stuff loading up during that time anyway... but I would like that delay to be shorter... does anyone know what command i can use? You can change the delay in Safari but I dont know how to do it with chrome.

As far as problems go, I havent had any. At one point the download bar that shows up froze... but that worked again after restarting chrome... and it didnt stop the download or anything. So you can pretty much say that I have had no problems.

I am getting all the Dev Updates which, as you would expect, are tested very little. But I havent had any problems even while getting them.

I certainly dont think ill go back to Firefox... However I wonder how long Chrome will be beta for... How long has gmail been beta? haha

chibicitiberiu

Found another..bad thing about Chrome:
In Firefox and IE this worked:
Code:
javascript:alert(document.lastModified)
and displayed the last date the page opened was modified.
In chrome it doesn't work.

TFT

VIP Member
I'll wait to see if after its complete and they satisfy their customers with every conceivable add on, what its speed will be like then.

PsychoRobot

my task bar is on auto hide and i have to min chrome to get at it which is annoying as hell.
i made a mutant toolbar out of bookmarks but it serves its purpose. i love fire fox and think i will have to stay with it.