Firefox behaves weirdly: cookies, cache ?

jo86

Hey forum. Recently Firefox has been acting weird. For eg if I'm on Facebook and try to post a YouTube link, the thumbnail stops appearing now. Or I can no longer access a page on certain websites, thinking those pages are offline but then I try again on Chrome and it works there. So then I clear out all Cache and Cookies on the browser, and it's OK again. But only for a moment before everything goes to crap again. I can't go on clearing the browser every 15min like that so, what could I do about this ? Also it's possible some Ad-ons are causing a bit of this but it isn't clear: Adblock Plus, Popup Blocker namely.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disable or uninstall all extensions and see what does. Unless you are visiting some shady website firefox works just fine.

beers

Staff member
What are you using for a DNS reference? Some ISPs have flaky ones by default, you might see different behavior setting your PC to use 1.1.1.1 or something.

jo86

Disable or uninstall all extensions and see what does. Unless you are visiting some shady website firefox works just fine.
Now John, what are you suggesting there ? :p
My main problem is Facebook not showing the thumbnail. I tried everything, Cache Cookies reset, restarting the computer, different Facebook accounts, Facebook and Chrome, the link "debugging" website for Facebook, checking if my Firefox was up to date, deactivating ad-ons... nothin !
What are you using for a DNS reference? Some ISPs have flaky ones by default, you might see different behavior setting your PC to use 1.1.1.1 or something.
haven't tried but I can't imagine... plus I haven't changed my ISP in a long time. I'm reluctant to go through DNS/connection stuff on Windows 10, no clue where to look but I can't see that. I appreciate your replies.

jo86

Have you tried different browser and see what happens?
yes. Most of the symptoms will follow on Chrome as well as Firefox. The other day I wanted to register on this sports forum, and after filling up the info form entirely and triple checking each inch of it, I click 'Register' and the page just got stuck there on Ffox, so I did the same with Chrome, and sure enough, page stuck at the 'Register' button. This is usually a side effect of Addons, but I disabled and, same result, and on Chrome as well. My computer is probably just haunted, that's it.