Firefox ESR (52.9.0) Windows XP ...... Instagram

Shinnen

Hi,
I want to post images to my Instagram account from Firefox. I understand that what's required is a user agent switcher.
I have downloaded a couple, but haven't got the hang of how to use them. Any help is appreciated. (I don't recall
the names of which user agents I tried.)
Thanks,
..... john

CP30126

Hi john. So instagram doesn't want you to upload pictures. OK. Simply downloading a user agent switcher won't help you. You have to give it the user agent string you want it to report. The way to do this will vary depending on which one you have downloaded.

Try this one:
  • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0

Shinnen

Hi CP30126,
The problem may be that I just don't know how to use 'User-Agent Switcher and Manager'.
I added your suggested agent to the 'useragent' line, then hit the 'apply to active window' button; but the set of 5 icons, that normally appear on a bar at the bottom of my screen (with SeaMonkey), do not appear. (I was on the Instagram page when I did this.) This bar contains icons representing: a house, a magnifying glass, a heart, a head, and a + sign. The '+' sign is the one that allows me to open the add images dialogue. Perhaps I'm missing a step, I don't know. I also tried the user agent ....
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0, which is what the program suggested when I pressed 'Test UA' but it did not work either. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
.... john

Shinnen

Hi all,
I think I may have found a solution to this problem. I installed 'User Agent Switcher' and chose iPhone 3.0 as my user agent; et voila, after reloading the page the icons set I was trying to get appeared at the bottom of the page, allowing me to show images. The only problem is that I have to choose the user agent every time I go to Instagram, and reload the page. This is not a big problem though, and only takes a couple of seconds.
Thanks again for your help.
... john

Shinnen

Hi taylormas,
'User Agent Switcher' is an application which I installed on Firefox, that allows me to trick a website (Instagram in this case) into believing that my browser is compatible with their software. I installed version 0.7.3 on Firefox ESR (the last version of Firefox compatible with Windows XP). It's an xpi file which Firefox recognizes and will allow you to install as an add-on. If you're using a later version of Firefox, you may want to install a different User Agent, or one may not even be necessary. Here's a link to version to 0.7.3.
https://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/
It's out of date, but works for me.
.... john

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Are you stuck on XP? I don't know if Bluestacks will run on that or not but that is how I uploaded photos to Instagram from a PC previously.

Shinnen

Hi voyagerfan,
Yes, 'stuck on XP', a kind way of putting it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but User Agent Switcher seems to be working alright.
Thanks again,
.... john