firefox question

Lamilia

I was thinking about switching to firefox and i have a question. When I'm doing something important I need something with tabbed browsing so I use Netscape and wheni found out that firefox does that too but does it ever say there is an error then you click ok and everything is gone? Whenever I have TONS of tabs up on netscape it always does that and its very time consuming to get everything up again just so it can do the same thing again.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I use firefox, have done for a while now, ive never even had it crash on me once. Let alone the error you are descriginb, right now i have 4 tabs open, usually i have way over 6 sometimes up to 10.....

I havent ever had a crash/problem with firefox and it has increased my system security, builtin pop-up blocker, customisable to speed up performance.

dragon2309

Lamilia

dragon2309 said:
I use firefox, have done for a while now, ive never even had it crash on me once. Let alone the error you are descriginb, right now i have 4 tabs open, usually i have way over 6 sometimes up to 10.....

I havent ever had a crash/problem with firefox and it has increased my system security, builtin pop-up blocker, customisable to speed up performance.

dragon2309
I'll have to get it then. i've had around 20 or 30 tabs up before. I think i got up to around 50 but that was just for fun.

Last edited:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Wow, i have no idea what the "limit" on firefox is, but i dont think you or me will ever reach it. Its a good browser.

dragon2309

Lamilia

dragon2309 said:
Wow, i have no idea what the "limit" on firefox is, but i dont think you or me will ever reach it. Its a good browser.

dragon2309
I dont think there is a limit. on netscape the tabs just get really tiny then the tabs get cut off and in order to get to the last one you have to open a new tab and press ctrl W. whenever I'm looking at computer parts I get into it and I have tons of tabs open and I learned that trick. Another question: My pc i'm building is going to be an amd which I know is for gaming but could it also do some light multi tasking with the internet and wordpad? maybe 4 tabs at the most and 1 or 2 word pads open.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Lamilia said:
I dont think there is a limit. on netscape the tabs just get really tiny then the tabs get cut off and in order to get to the last one you have to open a new tab and press ctrl W. whenever I'm looking at computer parts I get into it and I have tons of tabs open and I learned that trick. Another question: My pc i'm building is going to be an amd which I know is for gaming but could it also do some light multi tasking with the internet and wordpad? maybe 4 tabs at the most and 1 or 2 word pads open.

Firefox hasn't crashed on me yet, though I haven't tried to open 50 tabs :eek:

An AMD processor that handles newer games is more than capable for multitasking of the sort you are talking about.

As a matter of fact, I have an Athlon 3000+ at home that can run Firefox, Thunderbird, Wordpad, two Notepads, Acrobat (full version) and Photoshop simultaneously. Yes, I tend to multitask. :rolleyes:

Motoxrdude

yea same here, never even had a hicup with the fox. And, what the hell are you doing that reguires 50 tabs!!!!!:eek:

Modoman

firefox crashed once on me, but i believe it was due to resources because i had many many things going at once heh... firefox is badass nonetheless

ceewi1

VIP Member
Dngrsone said:
Firefox hasn't crashed on me yet, though I haven't tried to open 50 tabs :eek:

An AMD processor that handles newer games is more than capable for multitasking of the sort you are talking about.

As a matter of fact, I have an Athlon 3000+ at home that can run Firefox, Thunderbird, Wordpad, two Notepads, Acrobat (full version) and Photoshop simultaneously. Yes, I tend to multitask. :rolleyes:

Exactly, I tend to run (quite often) Firefox, Outlook, Word, Notepad, CloneDVD, Nero, Spybot, Photoshop and CD-Label Print simultaneously.

And multitasking slowdowns only arise when you're doing multiple CPU intensive tasks, such as video encoding and antivirus checking at once. Firefox and notepad DO NOT qualify as CPU intensive tasks.

Furthermore, AMD processors multitask quite well. Granted not as well as P4 systems (unless your talking about dual core), but to say an AMD multitasks poorly is similar to saying a P4 runs games poorly. In reality, a you're unlikely to notice more than a 10% difference in performance between the two chips.

Lamilia

Motoxrdude said:
And, what the hell are you doing that reguires 50 tabs!!!!!:eek:
Well when im researching computer parts I go to new egg and open a new tab with hard drives then one with cases then one with power supplies then so on. Then after that I open any part I like in a new tab and once i've looked at everything in that tab i close it and after i got about 5 or so parts i kind of like from every category I open up coolerguys.com and I look at some cool stuff there, and then i look at every part I have up. but now i dont that as much because i have already bought a video card, memory, a powers supply,and a CPU.
EDIT: I'm using firefox rght now (my mom actually let me download it on the family computer :eek: ) and its pretty nice only thing I hate is that all my bookmarks are on netscape :(

Last edited:

The Astroman

We have an answer!

tabs2ak.jpg

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Lamilia said:
EDIT: I'm using firefox rght now (my mom actually let me download it on the family computer :eek: ) and its pretty nice only thing I hate is that all my bookmarks are on netscape :(

You should be able to import those bookmarks from Firefox, just click FIle, and Import. If Netscape is registered (I'm sure it is), then Firefox should see it and offer to import bookmarks from it.

Lamilia

Dngrsone said:
You should be able to import those bookmarks from Firefox, just click FIle, and Import. If Netscape is registered (I'm sure it is), then Firefox should see it and offer to import bookmarks from it.
thank you very very much. Before i had one tab open and it crashed but that was because I was playing socom 3 on my ps2. Socom always messes with the internet connection

Lamilia

ok I finally got a picture of it.
untitled.jpg

this hapens very often when im researching about something on netscape it would have crashed by now but mozilla firefox hasn't crashed once yet :D
EDIT: hmm the picture is very small i still havent figured out how to fix that

Dr Studly

banned
i read this thread so i decided to see how many tabs firefox could have open.... i got up to 75 tabs open in firefox and then i stopped cus my pc was gettin slowwwwwwww...
so i am guessing either you can have as many as ur system resources can handle or up to like 100, 150, 200 or something like that... but it gets to the point that only so many of the tabs show and they start building up off the screen... i only know i had 75 cus i click close all other tabs and it asked me "are you sure you want to close 75 tabs"
so it baisucally is tab crazy

tweaker

VIP Member
FF is awesome, but damn it hugs some memory after running say a week straight or more .. :eek:

Last edited:

mrjack

VIP Member
Opera is good with tabs too, had about 200-250 tabs open all on different sites and it didn't slow down or crash.