firefox

Bartmasta

banned
This is pissing me off.

Since firefox 3.0.4, I have been getting random computer crashes while using firefox. Not only that but firefox will loose some cookies every fews days or after a crash caused by the browser.

Firefox is the only good browser, but these bugs are pissing me off.

I tried reinstalling and making a new profile. No luck.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

PC eye

banned
First I'll say that Apple's Safari blasts FF 3.0 out of the water! That is far more reliable as well as being the fastest browser out at this time. Try the lastest 3.2 version of that. http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

When loading a page you will see the address bar become the progress indicator as it loads pages like lightning. No worries about spybots and other bugs either like you still see with IE in Vista at times!

tremmor

only thing i can think of.

uninstall.
reboot.
goto the directory and delete.
clean the reg with regseeker and ccleaner.
reboot.
goto start , run %appdata% (delete all occurences of of fox)
reboot and start over.

PC eye

banned
I would never use CCleaner for other then the uninstaller since that's about all you will see there. Besides a manual edit of the registry if you experience in that the Eusing automatic cleaner or RegSeeker for a specific driver file are good there. Eusing is found at http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

The only thing I found to dislike about the Safari browser was seeing all bookmarks open up at once in tabs instead of being to select one individually like you would in FF or Favorites in IE. That part could annoy anyone.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Another enlightning post by pc_eye, god I can't stop running into him tonight!

I agree with the above about installing an older version of FF. I never had any issues with the previous release but have noticed a few bugs with 3.1, IE surfing sometimes and having it randomly close.

Pc_eye your the only moron I've heard that has had something negative to say about Ccleaner. Why would you suggest manually editing the registry to someone when most users are going to have no freaking idea what they were doing and risk messing up their OS? Ccleaner may not live up to your exagerated standards but it is a damn good TOOL for users who don't want to learn or risk messing in their registry.

Bartmasta

banned
only thing i can think of.

uninstall.
reboot.
goto the directory and delete.
clean the reg with regseeker and ccleaner.
reboot.
goto start , run %appdata% (delete all occurences of of fox)
reboot and start over.

Directory as in delete the folder from C?

I'm trying it now ill post results. Older version of FF isn't helping.

Bartmasta

banned
Houston, we have lift off.

Working good so far, but I've been only using it for 5 min so I can't say yet. :p

I'll post results when it messes up, or if it doesn't then in a few days so I'm sure it's ok.

tremmor

the reseeker proggy from hoverdesk only cleans the orphans. CCleaner worked well. if i had it running the way i wanted when running CCleaner i would click on some of the radio buttons maybe for don't clean the remembered passwords. i think both are good for general housekeeping. Neither has ever created a problem and considered safe. in fact the proggy that shut me down a few years ago was registry mechanic. that won't happen again.
cheers.....

tremmor

uummm...........how about start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore to another date it was working. maybe do the same thing again as mentioned above then reboot and try the above. thats all i got.

Bartmasta

banned
What will system restore do besdies fixing firefox. What does it exactly do?

edit : on system restore it only goes to nov 28th and the problem has been happening earlier

tremmor

i don't understand all of it myself. sorry, i can't help. you will have to wait for someone more experienced than i.
i'll watch.........now im curious about other options. maybe you have some corruption going on. maybe booting to dos
hitting the f8 key and exiting to dos mode. chkdsk /f

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Don't feel too bad about Registry Mechanic, tremmor, that and RegCure have been tried here and tossed.

I could suspect a possible Windows problem if you are not seeing a flaky connection. Lately IE 7 has been seeing a similar problem. ITunes itself will keep on playing since the file is likely being played from a temp folder.

When starting IE up it will lag quite a bit before reaching the home page at times. If I try opening a second IE window that will quit responding. Yet Safari will load right up. That's why I suggested giving that a try there until you get FF running good again.

FF 3.0 is on here running well after I changed a few of the default settings. You might see some results looking things in the advanced and Privacy tab in the options there. And ITunes by the way is still Apple. :p Quicktime plugins for FireFox, etc.

tremmor

as far as browsers go i did like Secure IE Professional. No, i do not want to buy every year. i can't and won't buy everything or nothing every year. i will make freebies work.

PC eye

banned
What I found helpful here for IE is the new security tool bar seen with AVG 8.0 for helping bypass garbage sites plus helping AVG itself detect anything some site tries to stuff on the drive. For seeing FF working again you may end having to manually remove any main reg key carefully and then see that all other traces are gone plus disable any protections you have running to allow a clean install to take place.

Particularly some antivirus programs are known for hampering software installs as well as bringing up problems while running a game. That would be another thing to look at there.

laznz1

thats a werid problem um is ur OS legit and wat is your PC running ??? maybe the instal file is corrupt?