firewall is "disabled"

Roy Rogers

vista home premium edition. My security status is in error, the firewall has been disabled and all my attempts to re-enable it have failed.suggestions?

JTM

vista home premium edition. My security status is in error, the firewall has been disabled and all my attempts to re-enable it have failed.suggestions?

Are you clicking the little arrow (almost looks like ^) and getting a drop-down type menu. You should then be able to turn it on. If it doesn't, I would recommend running Windows Update.

gtk30

Is your Firewall service running?

Type services.msc in StartMenu > Run and press Enter.

Look for "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing". The startup type should be Automatic. If the service is running, status would show Started. If the service is not running, right-click on it and select Start

Roy Rogers

i've done all that, it won't start. Here's another question, I downloaded a fix for this new worm but my vista home edition will not let me run it because I don't have administrater rights. this is a home computer and there are no administraters. One more reason I dislike vista. suggestions on running the fix?

Zatharus

VIP Member
You can run the program as administrator. Just right click on it and choose run as administrator.

Also, do you have any particular security software installed that would also be supplying a firewall?

Roy Rogers

did that

the download placed an icon on the desktop. I tried right clicking but there was no "as administrater" option provided. I ran the same download on my XP machine without a hitch, came out clean. Here's the irony, the XP machine has Professional OS and requires no administrater option. The Vista machine is HOME Edition and does require administrater permission. I'd sure like to disable all references to administrater, is there a way?

Zatharus

VIP Member
Is the icon on your desktop just a shortcut to the actual application/installer? Try right-clicking the icon and choosing "Properties". You should see the option in there to run the application as the administrator.

The administrator permissions issue you are running into is only going to be in Vista. Vista changed how permissions work throughout the system. In XP, if you set yourself up with an administrator account, you always ran programs and moved about the system with administrator privileges. This is inherently unsafe. Microsoft tried to remedy this situation in Vista, requiring you, as the user, to acknowledge and grant administrator power to an application (and technically yourself). In other words, in Vista, you do not inherently operate with administrative previleges always.

Roy Rogers

I scanned for the worm only an hour ago on my win XP pro machine and it read "clear". Now it constantly restarts and will not start in safe mode. I haven't heard exactly what malfunctions are expected if infected but the timing seems appropriate. My vista machine does not seem infected and I'm on Linux now. evidentally if this is the new worm a scan may not detect it. I'll wait for confirmation before low level formatting and reloading my hard drive. Please report any problems.

Zatharus

VIP Member
From what I have read/heard, Confiker will phone home for instructions. From what you are saying I would find this scanner suspect. Where did you get it from?

How important is your XP system? Wouldn't hurt to wipe and re-install to be safe. Since you have a second computer, you could mount your XP drive in it to scan and offload your data first.