Firewall keeps turning off

davie23223

My windows firewall keeps turning off each time i turn my computer on. I'll have to turn if on everytime i go on. My zone Alarm firewall has no problems, its on all the time.

Any ideas? Is it not possible to have 2 firewalls on at the same time?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
You shouldnt run more than one firewall or antivirus. It's "bad" because they conflict with each other. Depending on the features you want,

Although realy if you have ZA instaled just use that.

loque

Running the Windows Firewall in conjunction with any other firewall that does both inbound and outbound filtering is pointless. The Windows Firewall is giving you no benefit over what Zone Alarm is doing, since it too does outbound connection filtering (obviously).

Zone Alarm is probably disabling the Windows Firewall itself. Leave it disabled and just run Zone Alarm.

SirKenin

banned
This is a cut and paste from the Zone Alarm website (because we all love cut and pastes)

7. I am running ZoneAlarm on my PC. After installing XP SP2, is Windows Firewall automatically running as well?
If you are running a ZoneAlarm product (version 5.1 or higher), ZoneAlarm will disable Windows Firewall upon installation of XP SP2 so that the ZoneAlarm product is the only firewall running. This process was recommended by Microsoft because of the potential negative side effects of running two firewalls at the same time. Please see question #8 for more information on running two firewalls concurrently.

If you decide to uninstall your ZoneAlarm product, ZoneAlarm will re-enable Windows Firewall upon de-installation.

8. Will I have greater protection if I run both firewalls?
Zone Labs does not recommend running two firewalls at the same time because you may experience some performance problems.

ZoneAlarm products have more robust and comprehensive security features than the Windows Firewall, including monitoring and controlling inbound and outbound Internet activity. Windows Firewall can only monitor and control inbound network traffic.

ZoneAlarm products also provide hijacking protection, expert controls, safe-sharing, spoofing protection, and program control features. Additionally, ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Security Suite offer extensive privacy features for added protection.

Greggie Boy

I use both ZA and Win firewall with no problems. ZA turned Win firewall OFFevery time you restart. Don't be concerned if it is ON or OFF.