firewire card

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by sanJ, Mar 26, 2017.

1. sanJ

sanJ New Member

Hi,
    I just purchased a desktop PC Asus VivoPC which it it does not have a firewire port. The motherboard has only one pciex16 expansion slot occupied by a graphics card.

I have a pci FireWire card but it does not fit into the pcie x16 expansione slot.

Where or how could I add a FireWire port ?

I'm running windowes 10 64bit.
    Any suggestion, brand or type of FireWire card to purchase is appreciated.

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If you don't have any open slots then you can't.

3. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Does it not have any pcie 1x slots?

Only having a single slot is rather atypical.

4. mistersprinkles

mistersprinkles Active Member

Get with the times bruv. I haven't used firewire since 2002 and neither should you.

5. sanJ

sanJ New Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  6. beers

Lame. You can install smaller cards into the PCIE slot. It looks a little funky but it works.

What specifically are you using firewire for?

7. sanJ

sanJ New Member

I need the FireWire port to transfer DV from my camrecorder which has a firefire output.

8. beers

What camcorder do you have? Most modern ones have an option for USB unless it's super old.

But otherwise that expansion card should work, it would just limit you from installing any other expansion cards like a dedicated video card or similar.

9. sanJ

sanJ New Member

I have this pci FireWire card from my old computer. It does not fit into the pcie slot of the new desktop. This is normal I believe. What are the chances of hacking it ?

[​IMG]

10. beers

Zero, the bus is completely different.

11. sanJ

sanJ New Member

Then thats that. I'll have to get a new pciex16 win 10 64 bit compatible FireWire card.

How is it that there are no free expansion port on my motherboard ? Do you see any pcie 1x slots ?

12. beers

You won't find any 16x firewire cards. Any length card will work in that slot though such as the 1x card you linked.

Per the picture the board only contains a single 16x slot as your only option for adding additional hardware.

13. sanJ

sanJ New Member

14. sanJ

sanJ New Member

I know DV is oudated but I have plenty of shots on miniDV that needs transfering. What do you suggest ?

15. beers

I didn't see any 1394 headers on that motherboard pic you sent, you might be able to look around for one. If it has one then it should work, chances of the board having a 1394 firewire header are super slim, especially as they would have populated that from the factory as an additional feature.

16. sanJ

sanJ New Member

I'll add a pcie FireWire card replacing the graphics card untill I finish the video transfer job. I think thats my best option.

@beers : Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

17. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

18. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

19. geek 0001

geek 0001 Member

There are Firewire to USB converters, although I don't know how well they work. One such example is the Pinnacle Studio Moviebox, which you can find on eBay for all sorts of different prices. It might be worth a try, rather than wasting what appears to be your only PCI-E slot on a Firewire card, when you could possibly put it to better use with a nice GPU. Just a thought! ;)