First BIOS update , I'm scared ,what's the risk?my

piazza2

My old Dell inspiron 570 slowed down a lot recently so I tried Biosagentplus to check for Bios update , they sent me a zipfile with the update but I'm worried that I heard updating the Bios can wreck the PC if you don't do it just right.
What should I worry about ? And is this the best way to flash the Bios ?
It's a 3 cores 2.90 Athlon with an ATI card.
Thanks guys.

aldan

unless the bios update specifically addresses a problem you are having you dont need to do it.this is one case of "if it aint broke,dont fix it".your slowdown may just be caused by other things.have you defragged your hdd lately,cleaned up disk space,scanned for malware,or any other housekeeping chores?

beers

Staff member
'slowing down a lot recently' is more because you installed a bunch of crap than a BIOS problem. The computer worked fine before with using the same BIOS, this isn't a solution to your issue. :p

I definitely wouldn't use a third party utility to get BIOS images. You should be able to download the appropriate ROM from the manufacturer's website. If anything happens during the BIOS upgrade (such as a power outage) then your board is screwed until you can replace the BIOS chip with one that has a proper image.