First build : Gaming rig

Pesmerga

This is my first PC build, and although I tried my best to make sure everything was compatible with each other, I know I've probably made some mistakes. Well, here it is...

Case : Really cheap 15$ ATX, 2 back USB ports
Mobo : ALBATRON "KX18DS Pro" NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
CPU : AMD Athlon XP 2800+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB
Videocard : ATI Radeon 9800 256mb
CDDrive : Rosewill 52x32x52x16 CD-RW
Memory : Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200 (possibly thinking of 2x)
PowerSupply : Antec 480W
Sound : Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI
Monitor : CTX VL951T 19" (18" viewable) CRT

That adds up to about a grand, give or take a hundred. Suggestions appreciated!

Edit - Oh and this rig is mainly for playing Half-Life 2 and perhaps Doom3.

Rambo

Not bad, not bad - Will handle HL2 and D3 easily me thinks (that is IF you have a hard disk drive - I don't see one on the list ;) how big is the HDD?)

90 GB + would be good :) Also, the bigger the cache, the better.....

Hope I helped..... :p

lilpaul2019

its good but

yous should just go with a amd 64 2800 really good and fast reliable and its about the same price of the xp 2800 www.newegg.com check it out ur system whould be really good with it

Rambo

Pesmerga said:
My HDD will be 80GB, not sure if I'll need more space, I can always upgrade if I do ;).

Yeah, suppose so! I think that it will be a good "Gaming Rig" :p

Oh and by the way, do you know by chance how much the PSU cost you?

Cya!

ZER0X

VIP Member
Pesmerga said:
My HDD will be 80GB, not sure if I'll need more space, I can always upgrade if I do ;).

Not unless you RIP DVD's have heaps of games on your hardrive and have tons of music :p thats heaps big

Rambo

Not unless you RIP DVD's have heaps of games on your hardrive and have tons of music thats heaps big

Hmmmm, I don't RIP DVD's but I do have a couple of games installed on my computer. I "TRY" not to buy more games until the "fire" in the game I'm playing has burnt out, if ya know what I mean ;) .... Otherwise, my computer gets bogged down with low memory and acts sluggish.... Mostly, I'll have maybe 2 or 3 games installed at one time, each one coming in at around 3 Gig - 5 Gig (the 5 Gig one is UT2004, which is a quality game, especially when you play it online. Fire won't be burning out in that one for a while :D). I would recommend a 120 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache HDD (possibly 2MB Cache, depends whether you're bothered about that extra couple of seconds) to be good. That extra 40 GB could come in handy for you sometime.

But yeah, you can always add extra ones. Have fun gaming!

Pesmerga

Rambo said:
Oh and by the way, do you know by chance how much the PSU cost you?

Cya!

Right now it costs 85$, although I'm always looking to get more for less. I expect some of the prices to change come May/June, which is when I expect to build my pc.

Pesmerga

Update!!

Case : CODEGEN ATX Mid Tower Case (15$)
HDD : 120GB 7200RPM IDE 8MB Cache (78$)
Motherboard : GIGABYTE NVIDIA nForce3 250 (73$)
Proc : AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit (127$)
Video : ATI Radeon 9800 256mb (Aprox. 160$)
CDDrive : Rosewill 52x32x52x16 CD-RW (32$)
Memory : Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR (70$)
PSU : Antec 480W (87$)
Sound : Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI (90$)
Monitor : CTX VL951T 19" CRT (139$)

All that including mouse/keyboard/headphones ect equates to around 919$, not including the OS disk. Grr, I remember when the OS disk came with the computer! :mad:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard : GIGABYTE NVIDIA nForce3 250 (73$)
Make sure thats the Socket754 version.

Proc : AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit (127$)
This is an interesting chip in that it comes in a different physical package than the rest of the AMD64 line. If you plan on getting an aftermarket cooler, look carefully to see that it (the heatsink) properly mounts with this :)