First Build let me know if im stupid :)

Kerazyguy

these are specs so far...

CPU--AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+3.2GHz
Motherboard--ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM2 DDR2 nForce590SLI PCIe
Ram--DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL CRUCIAL <--2 of these =ing 8gigs
Vid--SAPPHIRE 100249L Radeon HD 3850 1GB 256-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Hav'nt decided on CASE and HDD and Power Supply... trying to think of the things that matter most first ya know

Oh and i'm going for around 800-1000 Roughly... Im wanting to cut corners preferably lol this is going to be used for labor intensive proceses like rendering videos editing HD videos Editing Sounds and some gaming

phantomofrussia

looks good. but since your going to use it for "labor intensive processes..."
i would go with a better video card. like the 4850 or even the 4870.

not too sure about the cpu. know intel better than amd.

Kerazyguy

Ok, I have a question about graffix cards... the one i have listed is listed as a
1gb 256-Bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 with crossfire support
your "better" version the 4870 is listed as follows
512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 with crossfire support
What is the difference between GDDR2 and GDDR3? cuz to me i would rather have 1 gig then 512mg's...? Oh and I am planing on ... (depending on what this build costs me) adding a second graffix card i forgot to mention that earlier...

phantomofrussia

i believe if i am not mistaken that the difference between GDDR2 and GDDR3 is transfer speed of the data.

also i just checked 4870 comes with GDDR5 not 3
here is a review that is done for the 4870. in the review it includes the 3850 and 2 3850.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/589
the single 3850 in all of the benchmarks stayed at the bottom. while the 3850x2 and 4870 kept switching places but i think the 4870 beat the 3850x2 more often.

now it is your choice on which card you want to get. of course the two 3850 are cheaper than the single 4870 but i think it would be worth the money to get the 4870 if you really are going to be running intensive programs. and you wont have to worry about you graphics card not being able to handle something.
another thing: i am not sure about what video editing programs use the most in terms of hardware but i would think it would be cpu. but i am not sure and it would be good to check it out before buying your parts.

Last edited:

Kerazyguy

lol oops i was quoting the 4850 not the 4870... and Yes most of the programs i'd be using (to my knowledge) use mostly the cpu to run... Im going to be using programs like audacity, and Lightwave...not sure on what i'm going to be using for editing yet... but ok i will do some more research on the graffix cards...

2048Megabytes

Kerazyguy

Yes i did look at the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and correct me if im wrong but I read a review on the differences between the 2 and it sayed the the 6400 (unlike the 6000) allowed you to fully use you ram at 800mhz while the 6000 doesnt... i dont recall what the 6000 did do but that's what i was going on when i decided tp use the 6400... is that correct?

Oh, and do you think a 650 psu will be sufficient... especially if i want to add a 2nd graffix card later?

lovely?

the difference in ram speed (if there is one) will not matter. what will matter in the end is Cache, (its either 1mb or 2mb, the more the better,) clock speed, and Wattage.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Go with AMD for the moment,but time will come where AMD and INTEL will have the same technology and approach

What...? So you're saying that you're recommending a CPU that is slower.

First of all, you don't make any sense and second of all, you can predict the future?

Kerazyguy

the difference in ram speed (if there is one) will not matter. what will matter in the end is Cache, (its either 1mb or 2mb, the more the better,) clock speed, and Wattage.

How would i figure out what size od "Cache" each card has? i googled the name of the card and specs.. and cache... and did'nt find anything that sayed anything about cache size...

2048Megabytes

How would i figure out what size od "Cache" each card has? i googled the name of the card and specs.. and cache... and did'nt find anything that sayed anything about cache size...

Cache is also referred as static random access memory (SRAM). SRAM is a small amount of memory that is much faster than primary storage RAM. It speeds overall computer performance by temporarily holding data the processor may use in the near future.

There are three levels of cache. Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 (abbreviated L1, L2, and L3). Not all processors have Level 3 cache, but almost all modern processors made presently have Level 1 and Level 2 cache.

The Athlon 6000 processor I recommended has the same level of cache as the Athlon 6400 processor (2 megabytes of L2 cache).

The Athlon 6000 runs at 89 Watts and 3 gigahertz while the Athlon 6400 runs at 125 Watts and 3.2 gigahertz. The bottom line is the 6000 runs cooler and a little slower than the 6400 (comparing performance side by side you wouldn't notice much difference).

Kerazyguy

but does it have any negative effect on my ram? but other then that is the system ok? and also what's ur guys opinion on psu?... is 650 gonna get me fine? or do i need something bigger... or smaller? other then that thanks for the addvice :)

Also im looking at processors a lil more... and i was wondering what one of these would be better

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor
----Or----
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core <---My original one...

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

The ASUS M2N32-SLI motherboard you selected is socket AM2. It will not work with an AMD Phenom 9950 processor. You will need to select a socket AM2+ motherboard if you want to use a Phenom processor.

A 650 Watt power supply will likely be enough unless you decide to get that Phenom 9950 processor since it consumes 140 Watts of power.

Pick a new AM2+ motherboard if you want a Phenom.

In my opinion if you want a Phenom look at the AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9650 (2.3 gigahertz) 95 Watt processor $170:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103288