First Build Looking For Help

Good part selection for a first timer?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Reid

I'm brand new to this and figured my 8 year old desktop is reaching the end of it's life so why not build a pretty nice machine on a $1,200 budget. So basically all I'll be using this computer for is some moderate gaming but I really just want it to last for quite a while(5+yrs) without having to change out much of anything especially parts >$150. Also, I don't intend on running everything I play on UHD just because I can since I'm not that picky or hard to impress as far as graphics go. I'm pretty confident that the list I've provided will do just that but I'm always down to hear suggestions about any tweaks for better performance or to cut costs but achieve the same or better performance. I won't be going SLI and won't be video editing, just purely gaming and looking at Youtube and stuff so no need for any crazy CPU, mobo, or video card.

P.S. Please don't post your build and say "here's what you should do."

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RZcV9W

Intel_man

VIP Member
A GTX 1070 might be something you could look into if you don't plan to change out the graphics in 3 years instead of the GTX 1060 you have in there.

Reid

A GTX 1070 might be something you could look into if you don't plan to change out the graphics in 3 years instead of the GTX 1060 you have in there.

So I actually was looking at the 1070 version of what I got and to me the specs looked the same as far as speed the only significant difference I saw was the 1070 had 2g more VRAM which to me isn't worth the extra $$$. Am I missing something as far as the specs go or what?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Video card wise, it's not so much the raw frequency on which it is clocked at, but more along the lines of how much teraflops of raw performance it can achieve. You should be looking at comparing the benchmarks of games people have tested to give you a sense of how fast the video cards are and not just look at clock speed and vram capacity.

The GTX 1070 is definitely a faster card. I would say on average, about 20% faster depending on the game and graphics settings.

https://www.toptengamer.com/gtx-1080-vs-1070-1060-benchmark-4k-1440-1080/

Reid

I would probably get ryzen 5 1600 for extra 2 core.
Not looking to go AMD for this build. I've done a good amount of research and I think I'll choose the blue side. Nothing against AMD since that's what I've got in my CPU but want to change it up.