First build - looking for input on everything

acelenny

So, recently my old laptop packed it in and now I am looking to upgrade to my first proper gaiming pc in years. My budget is uncertain as although I am aiming for £1000-1200, I need peripherals as well as a desktop and so it may be a case of spending a bit more but over the course of the next six months. I am in the UK and so will be using Pounds Sterling.

I am not really sure what I need in terms of power as I have not played a lot of games for a few years while i have been at university. I want to be able to play triple A games very comfortably and be able to actually enjoy the graphics. (For reference, my old laptop could not even play CS GO at 30fps at 1080p). I would also like to be able to continue to do this for 3-5 years (perhaps with a little bit of upgrading after three years).

I am currently considering this build which is essentially the same as one featured in a recent Paul's Hardware video:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor£189.99 @ Aria PC

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler£37.09 @ Amazon UK

Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard£104.99 @ Box Limited

Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk

Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive£101.14 @ CCL Computers

Video Card MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card£377.97 @ CCL Computers

Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case£89.99 @ PC World

Power Supply Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply£73.49 @ Amazon UK

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit£89.97 @ Laptops Direct

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total£1160.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-15 18:33 BST+0100

In addition, I also need a display and either speakers or headphones, preferably with a microphone. I do have a screen but it is an old, 1080p, 60hz Benq thing with a broken power button. I would quit like to move up to a nice 1440p display but this may be something to do in a little while unless the PC unprade would be completely wasted at the moment.

FInal thoughts: whatever case I have needs to be easy to clean. I do not really care how it looks and RGB means nothing to me but I would prefer something relatively 'sleak'. I would also quit like something which is quiet or at least can be when not gaming as I sleep in the same room as my computer and often leave it on overnight doing things. Lastly, cooling. My last gaming PC had problems with this and was very loud because I always had to boost the speed of the fans in order to keep it cool. I would like to avoid this this time round especially in the interests of noise reduction.

Any and all input on things would be very much appreicated.

OmniDyne

The Crucial P1 is fine, especially for gaming, but there are better options for around the same price, well, in the US anyways. Check to see if any of these options are available in your country:

ADATA SX8200

HP EX920

Corsair MP510

Addlink S70

MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro

Silicon Power P34A80

Sabrent Rocket

Inland Premium

Team Group MMP34

Crucial MX500

WD Blue 3D

Just so you know, games generally don't benefit all that much from being on an SSD. With how large games are, you'll need a secondary hard disk regardless. I'd think about grabbing a 256GB or 500GB SSD instead and buying at least a 1TB HDD.

Darren

Staff member
FWIW I'd get a 1TB SSD and add a storage drive if/when needed. Even my 525GB SSD feels limiting, especially when Forza alone takes 100GB and 1TB really aren't that much more.