FIRST BUILD - SKYLAKE DDR4 BUILD - Compatible parts? Advice?

Fr0stByte24

Hi All, I'm about to purchase all the components that I feel are best for my first PC build, but before that... I wanted some expert opinions from the community. The computer will be used for heavy video editing and 3-D rendering scenes with Autodesk Maya, (maybe a little StarCitizen on the side). Please let me know your thoughts, pros/cons etc. would be GREAT help! (Got a first timer over here!)

CASE: NZXT H440 Silent Mid-Tower (ATX)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X LGA1150 - Black Edition
CPU: Intel Quad Core 4.0 GHz Devils Canyon 4790K LGA1150
STORAGE: Samsung SSD 850 EVO (500GB)
GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
MEMORY: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Beast Memory, 2400Mhz DDR3
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CS Series CS850M - 850 watt

Please let me know if I'm overkilling certain areas/compatibility, etc..

Very much appreciated and excited to purchase all the hardware! :D

Thanks!

spirit

Staff member
Yes all compatible, nice build.

850W PSU is overkill, you could use a Corsair RM650 without any issues.

I'd advise you get a new Z170 / Socket 1151 board, an i7 6700K and then you can use DDR4 RAM (if you choose a board which supports DDR4 RAM). You might as well go for the latest generation parts.

You might also want a fast HDD to store the video on, perhaps a WD Black 1TB or 2TB.

Reactions: C4C

Quinn O'Brien

Yes, all of those part are compatible. The other guy is correct as well: the power supply is a little overkill but I strongly recommend you get that power supply just so that you have room to upgrade to better components in the future. That way if you want to upgrade to a power demanding graphics card you won't also need a better power supply. In addition, I also second what the other guy mentioned about getting more up to date parts. Earlier this year the standard for RAM changed from DDR3 to a much faster DDR4. To use DDR4 your motherboard and processor must support it. You should get a motherboard and processor that supports DDR4 RAM. For an example of one good DDR4 supporting CPU, search for the new Intel processors by the codename "Skylake". There is an i5 and an i7 currently in the Skylake codename. They are INSANE processors. Then to get a compatible motherboard simply get a motherboard with that same specified socket that the CPU has. Finally, just pick out whatever DDR4 memory you want and make sure that the motherboard supports the frequency for that memory. You should be golden. Good luck!

Fr0stByte24

Thank you very much for your advice! I think I will slowly build it using DDR4 and skylake. I'll revamp my list above to all DDR4/Skylake compatible parts.. thank you for the advice!

Fr0stByte24

Hi All,

I revised my original build ideas to a more updated version, please let me know if parts chosen are compatible and I'm making the best decisions for a first build:

MOTHERBOARD:
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel® HD Graphics 530

CPU COOLING:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler

SSD:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (500GB) Solid State Drive - Internal, 2.5 in Form Factor, SATA III

GRAPHICS CARD:
EVGA 02G-P4-2966-KR GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

POWER SUPPLY (a bit overkill, but good for upgrading correct?):
Corsair CS Series CS850M - 850 Watt Modular Power Supply Unit

Any advice or questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

beers

Staff member
Seems decent, you could probably back off a bit on the PSU if you needed more cash for the GPU to jump to a 970 or similar, or an i5 and 970 would also give you more graphical performance.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Seems decent, you could probably back off a bit on the PSU if you needed more cash for the GPU to jump to a 970 or similar, or an i5 and 970 would also give you more graphical performance.

"POWER SUPPLY (a bit overkill, but good for upgrading correct?):"

He's aware that it's more than he needs.

Reactions: kam

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see anywhere in this thread or the first one he made that said he was on a budget.

Running 850Ws on this config is inefficient and throwing money out the window, so budget or not, I think beers was simply pointing that out. He could get something like the Corsair 650w, save like 64$ after MIR and still have room to add an additional 960 for SLI, or go with something like a single 4GB 970. Save $100 more with stepping down to the i5 like beers suggested and still have something more than suitable for gaming.

I'm assuming you have an OS and optical drive already? Do you have an enclosure in mind? Will you even be gaming?

Troncoso

VIP Member
Sorry, I forgot to offer my suggestion. Without the assumption that the OP isn't on a budget, my first suggestion would be to get a better GPU right out of the gate, like a 980Ti. Beers' suggestions are fine otherwise. I just see no reason to offer less when the OP isn't asking for compromise. This thread should really be merged with his other, so that more information is present.

Reactions: kam

kam

Sorry, I forgot to offer my suggestion. Without the assumption that the OP isn't on a budget, my first suggestion would be to get a better GPU right out of the gate, like a 980Ti. Beers' suggestions are fine otherwise. I just see no reason to offer less when the OP isn't asking for compromise. This thread should really be merged with his other, so that more information is present.

I agree with you 100%. If someone isn't indicating they're on a budget, it's best to assume otherwise so we can offer the best for what he's looking for. It may be that the items he found are only what he knows, so I think Troncoso is right to offer him the 'best of the best'.

Darren

Staff member
Merged them for clarity.

PSU is overkill really as stated. If you ever plan to go SLI or Crossfire, you can stick with it, but a quality 600 watt unit should be able to power pretty much any single GPU configuration.

I'd bump the GPU if I were you to a 970 or higher, as also mentioned.