First Built System, wont start up?

dennykyser

I just finished building my first system and everything went good, the hardest part was putting the fan (heatsink I think is what its called) over the processor, really had to push that last tab to get it to pop in was worried the motherboard would break but finally popped in.

The original video card I ordered was the wrong type, my Motherboard would not take the AGP. I purchased a Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250 in PCI Version yesterday at Office Max so I could go ahead and build my system.

When I start the system up all the fans come on, the heat sink, the DVD RW and DVD rom both work but no picture on the monitor at all, the power led just blinks on and off. I had just moved it over from my other computer so I know it was working. I hope someone can help me.

A few things I thought of last night while I couldnt sleep thinking about this.

I did not have a keyboard hooked up, only an wireless mouse

The Video Card I installed was PCI, the mobo does accept PCI express but I couldnt find a video card in that version.

There is no power to the video card I even took it back out and looked it over to try and find a place to hook up the power suply, NONE.

I see there is a plug labeled PCI-E on my supply that is not hooked up to anything, can find no place to hook it.

Any Help would be very much appreciated.

dennykyser

I guess I should add that the DVD drives seem to work, when I put the win XP Pro in the drive it runs for quite a while, other CD's only for a few seconds. I am guessing that means the processor etc is working properly.

Zeus2005

i think that the plug labled PCI-e will be for the extra power for powerful cards, but im not sure if your card needs extra power- if u cant see a plug on the card then it'l get its power from the slot.

The easy thing to try is to clear CMOS, look in your Motherboard manual to find out where it is. it will be 3 short pins with a conductor between 1 and 2, all you do it switch the pc off, move the conductor to pins 2 and 3, wait for like 10sec and then move the conductor back to pins 1 and 2.(look in the manual to get exact instructions) This might sort your problem, if not post again and we can think of more ideas.

lynx6200

I think that could be an issue, what does you vid card say, just pci? I havent heard of that, it should be either pci express or agp. Can you check the vid card requirements, and post a link to the model?

dennykyser

lynx6200 said:
I think that could be an issue, what does you vid card say, just pci? I havent heard of that, it should be either pci express or agp. Can you check the vid card requirements, and post a link to the model?

It does say PCI, claims they have 3 versions AGP PCI and PCI Express.

PhoeniX51

Yue is right, but only older ones are PCI. Maybe you're trying to put the video card in a PCI-e slot, but I have no clue because I've never tried that before. Consult your MoBo manual if you're not sure which slots are which.

dennykyser

PhoeniX51 said:
Yue is right, but only older ones are PCI. Maybe you're trying to put the video card in a PCI-e slot, but I have no clue because I've never tried that before. Consult your MoBo manual if you're not sure which slots are which.

The video card now is in a PCI slot, wouldnt fit in a PCI-E slot if I had tried, but it still did not work, I am not going to mess with it, ordered a PCI-E video card today, will return this one and try it again.

ilovefishsticks

does your motherboard have onboard video? if so i have 2 suggestions

1. you have the video card in the pci slot but have the monitor plugged into the mobo, resulting in a black screen, make sure the motitor plug (weather it is analog or digital input) is in the card.
2. if you have onboard video, try using that with the video card out of the plug.
3. you should return your pci video card if you have a PCI-E slot, you can get a decent one just as cheap, and it would be much much much much faster.

dennykyser

ilovefishsticks said:
does your motherboard have onboard video? if so i have 2 suggestions

1. you have the video card in the pci slot but have the monitor plugged into the mobo, resulting in a black screen, make sure the motitor plug (weather it is analog or digital input) is in the card.
2. if you have onboard video, try using that with the video card out of the plug.
3. you should return your pci video card if you have a PCI-E slot, you can get a decent one just as cheap, and it would be much much much much faster.

There is NO on board video :confused: I am returning the Video Card tomorrow, have already ordered a new PCI-E card to try.