First Custom Built PC

lu94

Hi,

this will be my first custom built PC, which means that I'm quite inexperienced. The main purpose of it will be streaming Netflix, playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X, FIFA 17 and other games in the future (highly likely to be sports related) (all 1080p). I'm also happy to spend a little more on a system that is better than what I require now, if this gives me a little more longevity.
I'm UK-based and my budget is around £1000 ($1250), unless there is a strong argument for spending more.
It would be great if you could offer your opinion on the specification below, especially on the items' compatibility, their value for money and whether or not the cooling will suffice. The cost of this specification is around £900.

Thanks in advance!

Case
PCS ENIGMA 6003B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7600K (3.8GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB Kingston DUAL DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 500MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Deadpool

The 7600K doesn´t come with a cooler. You are gonna have to get one. If you can put the money toghether I´d save fot a GTX 1060. Also that PSU is a bit small. I´d get a 500W, or at least a 430W for OC in the future, not to mention the quality of that unit could be better.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7knYbj

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't get anything less then 500 watts for a gaming computer. 500 watts will give you access to many different video cards without having to upgrade in the future.

Also, get faster ram, like 2400mhz or higher.

beers

Staff member
Depending on your router you likely would be better off with a dual band card that also supports 802.11ac (which supports the 5 GHz band).

Yes I agree with above. You need a higher psu.. Shouldn't cost much more but aim for 500 watts.

Also the 1050 us a pretty weak card. Acceptable for what you want but in 2 years you may regret it. I would get a 1060 or 1070 if you can afford the upgrade. Everything else looks good.

Question: do you need a wireless card or can you plug the computer directly into your router with a cat 5 cable?

Agent Smith

FSX is largly a CPU orientated game, so you want a CPU that has very good single threaded performance and a very high clock rate. Preferably something with a K skew. Like an i7 6700k.

And if Win 10 is anything like 7 where the programs folder is emulated, don't install FSX into the programs folder. Just in the root of C:\ otherwise addons will play hell.

lu94

Thanks for the input. I now included a CPU cooler, opted for a 1060 card, a faster ram and a 550W power unit. Removing the wireless card and plugging the computer directly into my router is not an option, unfortunately.
Thanks also to Agent Smith for the installation advice!

Case

Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
8GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP
1st Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
USB Options
Operating System

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks for the input. I now included a CPU cooler, opted for a 1060 card, a faster ram and a 550W power unit. Removing the wireless card and plugging the computer directly into my router is not an option, unfortunately.
Thanks also to Agent Smith for the installation advice!

Case

Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
8GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP
1st Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
USB Options
Operating System
What @beers was saying, was you should look at getting a dual-band 802.11ac wireless card. If your home network is dual-band, especially if it's AC (if it's less than a few years old it very well may be), you should get a dual-band card as you'll get much better performance than the single band card you chose.

Deadpool

Before getting the 1060, do a little research on the RX 480 8Gb. More VRAM, Crossfire support and it performs better in certain scenarios. It´s also getting ahead on the 1060 in almost every situation due to improvements on DX12 and Vulkan support. And it´s $20 less. When I saw the benchmarks yesterday I almost regreted getting the 1060 myself.

Darren

Staff member
Before getting the 1060, do a little research on the RX 480 8Gb. More VRAM, Crossfire support and it performs better in certain scenarios. It´s also getting ahead on the 1060 in almost every situation due to improvements on DX12 and Vulkan support. And it´s $20 less. When I saw the benchmarks yesterday I almost regreted getting the 1060 myself.
At launch the 1060 was a better buy than the 480 but that's already changed, definitely suggest the 480.

Agent Smith

Source? All 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment are ran through wow64

I'm not talking about the bits of the CPU. I'm referring to the actual programs folders. Whether that be Programs or Programsx86. These are protected by Windows and thus installing FS into there you will get all kinds of trouble with adding Add-Ons, etc. All flight simulator players know to never install into the programs folder since Vista and install to the root of C:\ only.

Agent Smith

Not really. I was told by an engineer at Flightsim.com that the Programs folder was "emulated." Those were his words. I do think he used the term loosely though. But in Vista and higher the Programs folder is well protected. Well...HAHA as well as Winblows made it which seems to be more FUBAR than anything. Just like UAC. Non of which will prevent malware.

If only Winblows utilized the chmod/permission system of Linux...