First ever PC, help?

UserJ

Hi everybody! I'm really excited to be here, just a little about me. I'm 17 my names Jacob and I've never had a computer before but I'm gonna be saving up this summer for my first. I'm a highschool student/3 sport athlete.

I came here because I want to do research and get some ideas on my first computer, a lot of people say to build which I'm perfectly fine with and am capable of hut I dont want it to be too expensive, but if anybody believes I should go a different route please let me know! So I'm gonna be using it for school projects such as docs, web surfing and video watching (youtube mostly). I play a lot of video games . Valorant is my main game right now since I got in the beta. I also play games like Fortnite, Black ops, Modern warfare, Just cause, Borderlands, CSGO, Skyrim. Some of these I dont play on computer now but if I get a capable one I will. I only play CSGO, Valorant, and Fortnite on PC right now. My budget will be around 5~6~maybe 7 hundred dollars in total if I push it. I'd love to hear your guys advice and suggestions for a build and monitor/keyboard/etc. I apreciate it so much!

beers

Staff member
Hello!

Do you have any current components to reuse or will it be all from scratch?

The Ryzen 3300X which is coming out in about a month should be up your alley, I'd take a look at prices for those (MSRP: $120) and the B550 boards coming out at the same time to base the system around.

UserJ

Hello!

Do you have any current components to reuse or will it be all from scratch?

The Ryzen 3300X which is coming out in about a month should be up your alley, I'd take a look at prices for those (MSRP: $120) and the B550 boards coming out at the same time to base the system around.

Hello sir! Thanks for taking the time to respond, unfourtunately I have no parts already as I've never had a computer before so it will be from scratch. I'm not sure what the Ryzen 3300X is or what a B550 board is but I would love to learn. Also I wont be purchasing for a few months so it should be out by then. Additionally, I would prefer to build a computer for the experience and ideology of how it works and goes together. But my parents want me to buy one whole on black friday or something to avoid any possible complications. But if I explain to them why it's better to build I could persuade them. So if you wouldnt mind could you suggest both? Thanks so much I really apreciate it.

beers

Staff member
Most of the people here build their own, so we could certainly help you out on that side.

I haven't had a prebuilt in about 20 years so I have no idea what's on the market, but if you scope out a couple with specs we can contrast/compare/advise for price/value and similar.

Cisco001

Come back when you ready to purchase.

If you want a pre-built, what we could do is recommend what is best spec for the money. Most of us probably unable to comment on customer service.

If you building a PC now, You budget would get you something like i3-9100F, 8GB RAM and RX580.

UserJ

Most of the people here build their own, so we could certainly help you out on that side.

I haven't had a prebuilt in about 20 years so I have no idea what's on the market, but if you scope out a couple with specs we can contrast/compare/advise for price/value and similar.

Come back when you ready to purchase.

If you want a pre-built, what we could do is recommend what is best spec for the money. Most of us probably unable to comment on customer service.

If you building a PC now, You budget would get you something like i3-9100F, 8GB RAM and RX580.

Ok I had to get my crap together before coming back here! First off thank you for the responses. I now know I'm going to build one and I even put together a list on Pcpartpicker around the 3300X and the B550. I'll put it down below. Anyways is this THE best list I can get with a budget of $650~? I'm willing to swing it around a bit. Would really apreciate some help and input on if theres any better parts for the same price! Also I'm not set on anything so if you want to make a whole new list PLEASE feel free! I'm also very eager to learn so any tips you have please share. Thanks so much I really apreciate your generous help!

UserJ

Of course I forgot the picture my bad! Here it is. This totals out to $611.98. That was my budget for just the computer now I gotta find a monitor that's another $100 and then a mouse, keyboard, pad, speakers, headphones etc, that's another $100.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200429-192523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200429-192523_Chrome.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 15

jevery

My initial impression is that the case is very small and less than ideal. Small cases are generally harder to build in, top mount PSU is more difficult to manage/hide wiring (especially with a non-modular PSU) as compared to case with bottom mount PSU, small 92mm primary exhaust fan (smaller fan = more noise and less CFM), and limited options for additional case fans, CPU cooler height, GPU length due to case dimensions.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5736/fractal-design-core-1000-how-little-is-too-little

I’d recommend spending a little more on a case with better cooling options, bottom mount PSU, and a little more size.

https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-carbide-series-88r-micro-atx-mini-itx/p/N82E16811139068

I’d also recommend a secondary hard drive for additional storage 500GB – 1TB.

UserJ

My initial impression is that the case is very small and less than ideal. Small cases are generally harder to build in, top mount PSU is more difficult to manage/hide wiring (especially with a non-modular PSU) as compared to case with bottom mount PSU, small 92mm primary exhaust fan (smaller fan = more noise and less CFM), and limited options for additional case fans, CPU cooler height, GPU length due to case dimensions.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5736/fractal-design-core-1000-how-little-is-too-little

I’d recommend spending a little more on a case with better cooling options, bottom mount PSU, and a little more size.

https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-carbide-series-88r-micro-atx-mini-itx/p/N82E16811139068

I’d also recommend a secondary hard drive for additional storage 500GB – 1TB.

Thanks so much for the reply sir! I can certainly do on a few more bucks a tower based on your points it seems like a better option, I dont think I'll be able to get that in time for the sale is there any other towers you would reccomend around the same price? Also I'm going to have both a wired mouse and keyboard plus a headset, this will have enough ports? Also I'll for sure grab another hard drive when black friday rolls around. Another question if you dont mind, is this the best computer for this amount of money? Or would you reccomend any other parts? I really, really apreciate the help on this. Thanks!

jevery

As a case choice is very subjective based on taste and preferences I’d recommend pursuing cases on Newegg using the advanced search option with your criteria then reading reviews. Personally I wouldn’t consider cases with top mount PSU slot or fans < 120mm. A mid tower case will afford more options for future expansion. I’m sure you’ll be fine with ports for sound and accessories as 99% of MBs have more than enough. Just to be clear when I say hard drive for secondary I mean mechanical.

https://www.newegg.com/blue-wd10ezex-1tb/p/N82E16822236339?&quicklink=true

Use your faster SSD drive for operating system and antivirus and a slower mechanical drive for storage capacity.

UserJ

As a case choice is very subjective based on taste and preferences I’d recommend pursuing cases on Newegg using the advanced search option with your criteria then reading reviews. Personally I wouldn’t consider cases with top mount PSU slot or fans < 120mm. A mid tower case will afford more options for future expansion. I’m sure you’ll be fine with ports for sound and accessories as 99% of MBs have more than enough. Just to be clear when I say hard drive for secondary I mean mechanical.

https://www.newegg.com/blue-wd10ezex-1tb/p/N82E16822236339?&quicklink=true

Use your faster SSD drive for operating system and antivirus and a slower mechanical drive for storage capacity.

Thanks so much! I'll for sure be getting a Mid-tower case. And okay I didnt realize there was a difference with the hard drives. Anything else I should know for my first time building/having a PC or any other part suggestions? Thanks again!

jevery

Watch a few building videos, read our guide above, read your MB manual front to back, (available via PDF files on every manufacturer’s website), before even taking it out of the box. You’ll have questions – Post them here instead of making a mistake. Assembly isn’t really difficult as long as you adhere to a few basics. Post your final choice of MB and don’t forget to order a builders copy of Windows 10.

UserJ

Watch a few building videos, read our guide above, read your MB manual front to back, (available via PDF files on every manufacturer’s website), before even taking it out of the box. You’ll have questions – Post them here instead of making a mistake. Assembly isn’t really difficult as long as you adhere to a few basics. Post your final choice of MB and don’t forget to order a builders copy of Windows 10.

Thanks! I'll definitely take my time building it. Also sorry but what's MB? also I completely forgot about windows ten. This list doesnt include it? Thanks!

ric27

As you save your money for your computer start watching videos on YouTube about picking parts and assembling a PC. There are dozens of them from many sources. That will help a lot with getting to know the lingo for PC components and how they go together. Look for the videos that are current as in made recently because everything changes all the time with new stuff coming out. There are many videos aimed at budget builds like yours. PCpartpicker is a great resource as you already know. Use this time to learn about hardware, what you need and why will pay off and is, if you are geeky enough a lot of fun.

UserJ

As you save your money for your computer start watching videos on YouTube about picking parts and assembling a PC. There are dozens of them from many sources. That will help a lot with getting to know the lingo for PC components and how they go together. Look for the videos that are current as in made recently because everything changes all the time with new stuff coming out. There are many videos aimed at budget builds like yours. PCpartpicker is a great resource as you already know. Use this time to learn about hardware, what you need and why will pay off and is, if you are geeky enough a lot of fun.

I've been doing that exact thing. And I dont consider myself all that geeky but... it is fun:).