First Laptop for Brother Need Help

Ok, my brother wants to get his first laptop for school but he can't make up his mind so I'm here to get some more input to help him out. Hes willing to pay up to $1000. He doesn't need it to play any serious games, just your average browser based games. He doesn't want a very small screen like you'd get on a notebook but he has no need for a huge screen. He wants it to be easily portable so it should be light. He has no preference between Windows or Mac but I assume Macintosh will break the $1k limit. Any suggestions?

PS: If we buy from a big brand (god forbid) what would you guys say is the best; Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc.

Slacker7

Since he wants a a light portable but wants a decent size screen he will most likely have to stay within a 14" to 14.5" screen.

I suggest looking into the Lenovo Thinkpad T Series 420 or 420i. You can configure them with a 1600x900 screen as opposed to the standard 1366x768.

Another solid option is their Thinkpad Edge 420.

With what his needs are these will more than suffice and if he can be patient we should see the new AMD offerings in the Llano cpu models this coming late June and early July. Always keep watch on Lenovo's website as they are always having nice upgrades without additional cost.

Perkomate

just a word of advice, do NOT go down the HP road. their customer service is worthy of a comedy routine. I have heard similar about Dell, though they aren't quite as bad.

linkin

VIP Member
Yeah I'd strongly suggest you stay away from HP, Dell and the like. Lenovo/IBM have contracts for almost all school machines in Australia, why do you think that is? ;)

Can't go wrong with them either. If I ever buy a laptop it will be a lenovo. They are also very quiet compared to others.

Perkomate

my goddam school shipped out HP Mini 2140's. they stutter attempting to play YouTube at 360p in the small screen. it has a 1.6ghz CPU and 1 gig of RAM. I hate it.
/rant

but seriously, don't go HP

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
my goddam school shipped out HP Mini 2140's. they stutter attempting to play YouTube at 360p in the small screen. it has a 1.6ghz CPU and 1 gig of RAM. I hate it.
/rant

but seriously, don't go HP

It shuttered because it had a 1.6ghz atom processor. I'm not a fan of HP either, but in your case its because your school bought shitty low end netbooks.