First Startup :)

Charlie7940

Hello everyone :)

Ok, yes I have built two custom systems. However, when I built these...all I had to do was assemble the hardware. After that, my neighbor took over and worked on getting it running.

Now I am challenged to do absolutely everything. I don't know how to work very well in BIOS.

So here's my question(s):

After I assemble all the hardware in the pc, and push the power button for the first time...what happens next? I know I can't just go ahead and install the operating system, so I'm clueless.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Charlie7940 said:
I know I can't just go ahead and install the operating system,

Why not?

After I hit the power button for the first time all I did was install the operating system. well acturally I checked the bios to make sure it would boot from the cd. then I setup my raid. but then I just installed the OS.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yea you basically do just that :D. I normally go into bios first to set things up also and then go ahead and install the operating system.

Charlie7940

After I hit the power button for the first time all I did was install the operating system.

Oh really? I just didn't think it would be that easy. Learn something new everyday ;)

I normally go into bios first to set things up

See that's what I'm confused about. Do I have to do this? I don't know how to work in BIOS.

well acturally I checked the bios to make sure it would boot from the cd.

Here again, not sure how to do that if its necessary?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
to get into bios usually you hit delete when you first turn on the computer just about.

Working with the bios is usually not to hard and if you skew up you can always reset cmos. Most of the harder stuff like setting ram timming you can just use the auto setting which should be on by default. Most motherboard manual (at least mine did) come with a explanation of all the options in the bios you have. changing it to boot to cd is usually very simple. There proberly a tab up top called boot just go to that tab and you can change the boot sequence. If it a new motherboard it will definaly have a option to boot from cdrom. Just make it boot from the cd first thing then floopy then harddrive (at least those the settings I use.)

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
See that's what I'm confused about. Do I have to do this? I don't know how to work in BIOS.

You may or may not have too. depends on whether your bios sets too booting from CD ROM automatically and this is assuming that is how you plan on installing the OS. You really wont know until you try. If you do need to enter bios do as mgoldb2 as said and you'll be fine. Search through the bios for boot devices which is usually really easy to find.

You may also be able to enter your boot device without entering the bios however. Hit f8 key before your computer posts (memory tests etc.) and often you'll get a menu where you then can select a boot device.

Charlie7940

Alright thanks guys...I'm ordering the hardware tomorrow, hopefully get it sometime early next week. If I happen to run into any trouble, I'll post right back to this thread. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
When i had to setup our computer for the first time, all I did was turn it on, and i installed the OS. (My BIOS was already set to boot from cd first).