First time builder - Gaming Rig :D

simpo

New Member
Hey guys,

Just recently I decided to take a wack at building my first gaming rig. I always hear all my friends talking about doing upgrades on their computer, and it would be nice to be involved in the conversation!!

I am fairly new to the entire process. I have a basic understanding of which parts to pick for the PC to work. However, that is my primary reason of coming here. I am not as much worried about the construction process, as I am the purchasing of the hardware (part compatibility).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can take the time to help me!!

Tower - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130528

DVD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118031

Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 (not sure if this was gonna be enough)

Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188054

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

I was also wondering what SLI is all about? I read some of the comments on the video cards I was checking out..



Thanks again to anyone who can help!
 
The only thing that looked out of place was getting a 3 ram module set when the motherboard and CPU support dual channel memory. The third ram module will increase total capacity, but will not increase the memory bandwidth. Unless you expect to need more than 4GB total, then you should aim for a 2x2gb set.

SLI is a way to combine the computing power of more than one graphics card. It is the same concept as CrosfireX except SLI=Nvidia and CrosfileX=ATI. The main benefit I see is it allows you to upgrade your graphics capability later without having to remove the card you have been using. There are limited cases where purchasing two graphics cards and running in SLI creates greater performance than spending the same money spent on two cards to buy a single higher end card. There are exceptions to this, but I would aim for a single card now with the possibility of adding a second later.

The power supply you have selected will have plenty of power to run your setup as shown, and also allow you to buy a second video card for SLI without the need to upgrade the PSU.

It would also be helpful to know what your total budget is and if you will need an OS or monitor. Can you grab any of the parts out of your old PC? If you are only getting one optical drive I would recommend paying the extra $10 to get a DVD writer rather than just a DVD ROM.

Andrew
 
The only thing that looked out of place was getting a 3 ram module set when the motherboard and CPU support dual channel memory. The third ram module will increase total capacity, but will not increase the memory bandwidth. Unless you expect to need more than 4GB total, then you should aim for a 2x2gb set.

SLI is a way to combine the computing power of more than one graphics card. It is the same concept as CrosfireX except SLI=Nvidia and CrosfileX=ATI. The main benefit I see is it allows you to upgrade your graphics capability later without having to remove the card you have been using. There are limited cases where purchasing two graphics cards and running in SLI creates greater performance than spending the same money spent on two cards to buy a single higher end card. There are exceptions to this, but I would aim for a single card now with the possibility of adding a second later.

The power supply you have selected will have plenty of power to run your setup as shown, and also allow you to buy a second video card for SLI without the need to upgrade the PSU.

It would also be helpful to know what your total budget is and if you will need an OS or monitor. Can you grab any of the parts out of your old PC? If you are only getting one optical drive I would recommend paying the extra $10 to get a DVD writer rather than just a DVD ROM.

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I have made three revisions since the original post.

I have changed the memory like you said. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

I have also sided with a different video card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102849

This is the DVD writer I went with.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

I have a monitor I am going to keep for the time being. As far as my budget goes, I am looking to spend anywhere in the range between $1000-$1200. I don't plan on using any parts from my old computer. I was also planning on purchasing Windows 7 64bit with the rest of the hardware.

Thanks again for the very helpful reponse.

I plan on taking some pictures during/after the building process.
 
Reply to "Simpo"

Looks like it could be a very nice set-up mate. Case may be a bit noisy, i prefer the antec cases myself - built well, easy to use etc. If you decide to go for the case you chose, let me know how it goes, am thinking of building another PC myself. Compatibility is between all the parts looks good. Good to see you've decided to go for an ATI, they're great value for money and perform like crazy. Personally, i would go for a modular PSU. I have the corsair 620 watt one myself which would be more than adequate for you as well. Have fun building it though and good luck =]
 
Looks like it could be a very nice set-up mate. Case may be a bit noisy, i prefer the antec cases myself - built well, easy to use etc. If you decide to go for the case you chose, let me know how it goes, am thinking of building another PC myself. Compatibility is between all the parts looks good. Good to see you've decided to go for an ATI, they're great value for money and perform like crazy. Personally, i would go for a modular PSU. I have the corsair 620 watt one myself which would be more than adequate for you as well. Have fun building it though and good luck =]

Thanks!!

I find myself continuing to make some revisions (probably jumped the gun on the first post).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136316 <-- new hard drive

I also decided to go with the 5770 video card because the dx11 and eyefinity. The reviews I have read talk about the cards being pretty much the same with those perks being on the 5770. I also read that its in need of a hotfix- any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
It looks good except:

First your motherboard supports dual channel and you cant run the ram you've selected because it's 3 x 2gb. You can run 2 x 2gb on the motherboard. 4gb will be a lot of ram.

Second i would change your video card and get ati radeon 5770. It supports DirectX 11 which will be good for future use. :)
 
First your motherboard supports dual channel and you cant run the ram you've selected because it's 3 x 2gb. You can run 2 x 2gb on the motherboard. 4gb will be a lot of ram.
Before your post

Second i would change your video card and get ati radeon 5770. It supports DirectX 11 which will be good for future use. :)
Before your post
I also decided to go with the 5770 video card because the dx11 and eyefinity. The reviews I have read talk about the cards being pretty much the same with those perks being on the 5770. I also read that its in need of a hotfix- any thoughts?

he all ready changed that stuff in his other posts ;)
 
Last edited:
Thanks!!

I find myself continuing to make some revisions (probably jumped the gun on the first post).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136316 <-- new hard drive

I also decided to go with the 5770 video card because the dx11 and eyefinity. The reviews I have read talk about the cards being pretty much the same with those perks being on the 5770. I also read that its in need of a hotfix- any thoughts?

you'll like the 5770 (most likely). i have it and love it. just finished a round of mass effect 2 on all high settings, excluding only aa, at 1440x900 at a constant 60 fps, but that is most likely only because of my 60 hz refresh rate.
 
Heres another one for you guys.

I see some talk of after-market coolers for the CPU. I know it comes with a stock cooler. Although, do you guys think its in my best interest to pick up a different one? I am anxious to see how those fans on the tower are going to work. I picked that tower because of the price and the additional fans.
 
Heres another one for you guys.

I see some talk of after-market coolers for the CPU. I know it comes with a stock cooler. Although, do you guys think its in my best interest to pick up a different one? I am anxious to see how those fans on the tower are going to work. I picked that tower because of the price and the additional fans.

From what I understand about cpu coolers, if you are going to overclock the cpu get an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise the stock heatsink is fine. I don't see why companies would package a cpu with a heatsink that does not cool the cpu properly at stock settings.
 
From what I understand about cpu coolers, if you are going to overclock the cpu get an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise the stock heatsink is fine. I don't see why companies would package a cpu with a heatsink that does not cool the cpu properly at stock settings.

Thanks..

The only thing I am not sure about is my tower. I have changed my HD to an $80 one, with basically the same specs. I just have a feeling those fans are going to get really annoying on the side.

I am looking for a full tower for my first build. I don't want to feel cramped. I am planning on picking up another video card for Crossfire later down the road. Although, I am sort of getting ahead of myself.
 
Thanks..

The only thing I am not sure about is my tower. I have changed my HD to an $80 one, with basically the same specs. I just have a feeling those fans are going to get really annoying on the side.

I am looking for a full tower for my first build. I don't want to feel cramped. I am planning on picking up another video card for Crossfire later down the road. Although, I am sort of getting ahead of myself.
A case along the lines of the Coolermaster 690 II advanced is roomy and one of the best options for a first time builder and experienced builder alike, offering many options to utilize such as cable management, many fan positions, a hard drive dock, ssd compatibility, etc:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

As an owner of a(heavily modified these days, removed hard drive tray, cut cable management holes, painted interior, etc) xclio windtunnel, i really dont suggest it for first time builders. I myself find it a hard case in order to do cable management, and the tooless pci system is a complete joke.

Definately think about getting a power supply such as this, a modular unit really helps cable management:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815001

For standard consumer use(eg- not extreme overclocking with subambient stuff like peltiers, ln2, or dice) this board provides a better featureset:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412

As far as memory....better memory for a few bucks more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

For that i5 750...if you have a microcenter close they are a good deal cheaper there.

As far as eyefinity....really sort of useless for the 5770 as its not going to run many games at full frames on 3 displays, not to mention unless you get a displayport display, you need to purchase a $99 active displayport->dvi adapter from dell.

A good aftermarket HSF on a budget is the Xigmatek Dark Knight, for the price you cant beat it unless you find something better on sale.

Which Hard drive you going with? Its definately worthwhile to spend the extra for at least this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433&cm_re=7200.12-_-22-148-433-_-Product



First it's a GTS 250 second he's all ready picked the HD 5770
anyways the GTS250 is a good card just that the 5770 better :P
True....yet not, the GTS250 is still more powerful, but the 5770 offers some features you dont get on the 250.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433&cm_re=7200.12-_-22-148-433-_-Product
 
Last edited:
Back
Top