First Time Building a Computer? Look Here.

linkin

VIP Member
Okay, so we get a lot of people creating threads about building their first computer, and what we would recommend. this is perfectly fine, but sometimes we need more info before we can help you properly.

I have created 8 simple steps to help people with giving us information before they create a thread so that we can get them their new computer as fast as possible! :cool:


THINGS WE NEED BEFORE YOU POST

Number 1: Where are you located?
Number 2: How much are you willing to spend?
Number 3: What will you primarly use the computer for?
Number 4: Which online stores/retail shops do you prefer to buy from?
Number 5: If you have doubts about anything, ask us! :) We are here to help.
Number 6: What Programs/Tasks/Games will you run on the computer?

Number 7: Are you willing to go over budget? If so by how much?
Number 8: Do you need anything besides the computer itself? (monitor, keyboard, operating system etc.)




Please create a new thread if you are building, if you post in here you will not recieve help. thank you. ​

These things will help us to help you and you will feel better with yourself knowing that you have created your own unique computer and that it is of the best quality! :D

Requesting Sticky - let's see if it does help with first time builders :)

After reading this please create a new thread rather than reply in this thread, that way more of us can help you.
 
Last edited:
bumping a suggestion thread?

anyway if u want a sticky or something you should write a full guide with a form to fill out :)

I dont think anyone will realy pay attention to this to be honest
 
we'll see. Those 8 things are all we really need to start properly helping first time builders.
 
Last edited:
Nice idea, don't understand the negative view ^

This will help, if it gets stickied and people notice it. Maybe a question should be added on specifically what programs/tasks/games they will be hoping to run? Because asking a question as broad as "What will you be using it for?" will give back answers like "Just for games" and "Some editing programs"
 
Hey, this is right up my alley! I'll give it a go! First off, neither my wife nor I are doing any heavy analysis/photo-morphing/gaming/or any other intensive computer work, but we do need to upgrade for our 10-year old 256 machine.

Number 1: Where are you located? southern Oregon

Number 2: How much are you willing to spend? $1K

Number 3: What will you primarly use the computer for? Word processing, powerpoint presentations, photograph taking/storage, basic internet use, emailing, music writing, video/movie watching, my wife's quilting program

Number 4: Which online stores/retail shops do you prefer to buy from? I've purchased from NewEgg before, not many others.

Number 5: If you have doubts about anything, ask us! We are here to help. OK

Number 6: What Programs/Tasks/Games will you run on the computer? My wife wants Windows 7, the whole professional Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, OE, Goldwave/Audacity for music recording, and the usual minor programs. My wife also works with a quilting software that is pretty photo heavy.

Number 7: Are you willing to go over budget? not by much, but a little

I'm very handy, and good with my hands. No problems with fine motor skills (I can color inside the lines!!)

Looking forward to what people think might be the best mix of components. We do want to get a nice flat screen, high-res monitor, good power source, big box for ventilation, good DVD burner, 4 GB mem, and good processor, all of which should take us another 10 years down the road. Don't need high-end sound card.

thanks

PS - I AM Scottish, so I like to hang on to as many scheckels as I can. Basically, the best balance of cost to quality (like most people I suspect).
 
Last edited:
Hey, this is right up my alley! I'll give it a go! First off, neither my wife nor I are doing any heavy analysis/photo-morphing/gaming/or any other intensive computer work, but we do need to upgrade for our 10-year old 256 machine.

Number 1: Where are you located? southern Oregon

Number 2: How much are you willing to spend? $1K

Number 3: What will you primarly use the computer for? Word processing, powerpoint presentations, photograph taking/storage, basic internet use, emailing, music writing, video/movie watching, my wife's quilting program

Number 4: Which online stores/retail shops do you prefer to buy from? I've purchased from NewEgg before, not many others.

Number 5: If you have doubts about anything, ask us! We are here to help. OK

Number 6: What Programs/Tasks/Games will you run on the computer? My wife wants Windows 7, the whole professional Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, OE, Goldwave/Audacity for music recording, and the usual minor programs. My wife also works with a quilting software that is pretty photo heavy.

Number 7: Are you willing to go over budget? not by much, but a little

I'm very handy, and good with my hands. No problems with fine motor skills (I can color inside the lines!!)

Looking forward to what people think might be the best mix of components. We do want to get a nice flat screen, high-res monitor, good power source, big box for ventilation, good DVD burner, 4 GB mem, and good processor, all of which should take us another 10 years down the road. Don't need high-end sound card.

thanks

PS - I AM Scottish, so I like to hang on to as many scheckels as I can. Basically, the best balance of cost to quality (like most people I suspect).

I think it's best to make your own thread. I think Linkin made this as a template :P
 
alright, updating with the #8 point.

EDIT: Added 8th point. It would help if after reading this you could create a new thread as this one is mainly for the first post and any suggestions. thanks! :good:
 
Last edited:
this is a really good idea!
with myself being a noob i sorta feel bad about taking up so much of your time, so this will make the whole process a lot faster and make me sleep better at night! :P

i think this should be stickied... but a lot of people will miss it.
If only we could get blinking lights and big arrows pointing at it. that would attract some attention!

anyway i love the idea!
 
Back
Top