flashing screen after logon

BardVos

Good morning

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running W10. Just before Christmas after a random windows update, when I logged back into my laptop, the screen started flashing and went black and there was nothing I could do. I thought it was the age of the laptop (3.5 years) old and had it repaired (re-install windows etc) and it worked again after that. I did however purchase a new one (I need it for work) and I received my new Dell Inspiron with W10 last week....
A few days later after a random windows update exactly the same happened. When I logged on after the update, the screen went black and nothing I could do. I re-installed Windows myself and now it is working fine again.....but what could be the cause of this? How can I avoid this happening in the future? I do not want to keep having to re-install windows.....

Any advice greatly appreciated

Bard

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
after a random windows update
after a random windows update exactly the same happened
To be honest most inspiron's are crap any more. You would have to figure out what updates were installed and not install them, most likely a video driver update perhaps. Windows updates hasn't been very good at driver updates anyway. Always go back to manufacturer for latest driver.

Next time it happens, you can boot to safe mode from the login screen just by pressing and holding the shift key while clicking on restart. Once in safe mode, do a system restore to before the update installed.