Fluctuating System Speed

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've got an issue with multiple SVCHOST.EXE processes running and it's really bogging my system down.

I have McAfee installed, but only because MSE & Avast both caused me not to log into my network (Cisco NAC Agent said I had no AV installed).
EDIT: I removed McAfee and installed MSE; still have the svchost issue.

Here's how my taskmgr looks:

taska.jpg

Last edited:

Nanobyte

Have you tried cutting out some of the running processes? I have 9 svchosts running out of 48 total processes. Similar proportion as yours. They are not using CPU as shown in your snapshot, just memory. I would be more concerned about running with 87 processes.

At least you're not running thekitchensink.exe

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Have you tried cutting out some of the running processes? I have 9 svchosts running out of 48 total processes. Similar proportion as yours. They are not using CPU as shown in your snapshot, just memory. I would be more concerned about running with 87 processes.

At least you're not running thekitchensink.exe

I also fold, so it brings my CPU to 100% a lot of the time.

But yes, I tried cutting some the other day and had to restart because a critical system process was terminated.

gamblingman

VIP Member
I am suggesting this as a starting point. Also the HJT log will provide needed info and help us identify any programs/services/etc which may be part of your problem. And the NAC is a pain. So many good A/V providers aren't on the Cisco NAC accepted list. MSE should work with NAC.

Please, don't do anything else on the computer while working with these programs. Perform all the below in normal boot, NOT safe mode.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware HERE or HERE and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    o and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- - - - - -

NOTE! If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download these files:Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com.

First, run the .SCR file by clicking it. If a black window opens then closes (or you get a message from the infection that RKill is infected) run the file again, do this until it generates a log of processes stopped. If .SCR will not run at all, try the .EXE, if the .EXE wont work then use the .COM until one of them gives you a log. Then work to install or run Malwarebytes.

DO NOT reboot immediately after running RKill because doing so will deactivate RKill and you will have to run it again. Just run RKill then malwarebytes, then HijackThis. Dont reboot until told to do so.
- - - - - -

Now, you can generate a HijackThis log by doing the following:

Download the HijackThis installer from HERE
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log.

Nanobyte

.....I tried cutting some the other day and had to restart because a critical system process was terminated.
If you are talking about stopping instances of svchost.exe that's not a good idea. You need to cut down the number of processes. If you look at what those svchosts are doing, they are related to and supporting the applications you are running.

It is quite disconcerting that you cannot directly see what they are up to. I use an app, either Svchost Viewer or Process Explorer to see what they support in general. Just being connected to the Internet uses about 5 of them.

I count about 370 MB of memory and 0 CPU shown.

Stop every user-initiated application you have running, Steam, Skype, WMP and all the rest that are out of sight (a through r) and see how that changes the instances of svchosts.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
MalwareBytes didn't find anything. Here's the HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:32:08 AM, on 3/9/2011
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco NAC Agent\NACAgentUI.exe
C:\Users\Travis A. Anderson\Local Settings\Apps\F.lux\flux.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\CameraHelperShell.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 10\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 10\plugin-container.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: btorbit.com - {000123B4-9B42-4900-B3F7-F4B073EFC214} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitcth.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Grab Pro - {C55BBCD6-41AD-48AD-9953-3609C48EACC7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\GrabPro.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NACAgentUI] C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco NAC Agent\NACAgentUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWS] C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [F.lux] "C:\Users\Travis A. Anderson\Local Settings\Apps\F.lux\flux.exe" /noshow
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10m_Plugin.exe -update plugin
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: [email protected] = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/201
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Grab video by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/204
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload selected by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/203
O8 - Extra context menu item: Down&load all by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/202
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O16 - DPF: {0067DBFC-A752-458C-AE6E-B9C7E63D4824} (Device Detection) - http://www.logitech.com/devicedetector/plugins/LogitechDeviceDetection32.cab
O16 - DPF: {4D2D3A17-9B46-483C-A5F4-1DC471080009} (Cisco NAC Web Agent Control) - https://cas2.cca.ccsu.edu/auth/taweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {F27237D7-93C8-44C2-AC6E-D6057B9A918F} (JuniperSetupClientControl Class) - https://juniper.net/dana-cached/sc/JuniperSetupClient.cab
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\lbtserv.exe
O23 - Service: LMIGuardianSvc - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\LMIGuardianSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn Maintenance Service (LMIMaint) - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\RaMaint.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\LogMeIn.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcS64) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Cisco NAC Agent (NACAgent) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco NAC Agent\NACAgent.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe SwitchBoard (SwitchBoard) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 11812 bytes

gamblingman

VIP Member
That isnt many running processes. Did you right click HiJackThis and select for it to run as Administrator?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
That isnt many running processes. Did you right click HiJackThis and select for it to run as Administrator?

Run as admin isn't on the list, and it didn't give me the error saying hijackthis was restricted.

gamblingman

VIP Member
You have some things running, some as startups others are services you may not need all the time. Do you personally need:
  • F.lux
  • Steam (do you always need steam running?)
  • Flash player updater (I usually remove it)
  • Apple's bonjour, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks.
  • webcam
  • Win7 sidebar, do you use the windows sidebar?
  • Folding@Home, do you want to keep folding (you mentioned that it takes your cpu to 100%, are you ok with that happening often?)
  • do you own or use apple devices on your computer?
  • can you remember to update your own software, like google chrome? If so we can kill some services.
  • Do you have an ipod you connect to this computer?
  • Do you use Log-Me-In to remotely connect to other computers?

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You have some things running, some as startups others are services you may not need all the time. Do you personally need:
  • Flash player updater (I usually remove it)
  • Apple's bonjour, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks.
  • Win7 sidebar, do you use the windows sidebar?
  • do you own or use apple devices on your computer?
  • Do you have an ipod you connect to this computer?

Flash updater can stay. Bonjour can go. I don't use the sidebar. I have an iPod or two I attach to this computer.

Everything else I took care of.

EDIT: I looked at [email protected] the comp last month I had increased the CPU usage bar :eek: So now my CPU isn't being used as much.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you disable this from running?

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [F.lux] "C:\Users\Travis A. Anderson\Local Settings\Apps\F.lux\flux.exe" /noshow

Thats a screen utility right for brightness?

Hsv_Man

Thats not that many svchost's running i'm here listening to music and browsing and i've got 12 svchost.exe running where as you have 14. I do need to clean up my Hdd though I might do that now.

gamblingman

VIP Member
I was just asking about them. I was going to suggest some different things like:

Uninstalling F.lux, then I would remove the entries for startup like Google updater, Flash updater, skype, steam, windows sidebar, webcam...

I would also stop the entries in services for Google updater and also Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. That specific service (WMPNSS) tends to be a big drag on systems and most people never even use the service.

If you have made system changes I'd need to see another HJT log, unless you already made the necessary adjustments in HJT. If you want specific items to remove from HJT then just post a new log after removing the software you don't want/need. If you want help on other software you could remove, then post an uninstall list from HJT.

• I dont know how familiar you are with HJT. So if you need the specifics then we can do more if you post an uninstall list from HJT first.
While your're at it go ahead and check the following for updates:

• Verify Java Version to check to see if you are running the most recent version, it will lead you to the download if you need the new version.
  • Also Adobe Flash Version Check, compare the version it shows that you have and look down the list to see if you have the most recent version. If you dont have the most recent version of flash then you can get it here.

It goes without saying that if either Java or Adobe try and offer any 3rd party software during download or install, just un-tick the necessary boxes so you don't get the junk!

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Did you disable this from running?

Thats a screen utility right for brightness?

Yeah it adjusts the color of the screen at night to a 6400K color. Makes it easier on my eyes at night.

I was just asking about them. I was going to suggest some different things like:

Uninstalling F.lux, then I would remove the entries for startup like Google updater, Flash updater, skype, steam, windows sidebar, webcam...

I would also stop the entries in services for Google updater and also Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. That specific service (WMPNSS) tends to be a big drag on systems and most people never even use the service.

If you have made system changes I'd need to see another HJT log, unless you already made the necessary adjustments in HJT. If you want specific items to remove from HJT then just post a new log after removing the software you don't want/need. If you want help on other software you could remove, then post an uninstall list from HJT.

• I dont know how familiar you are with HJT. So if you need the specifics then we can do more if you post an uninstall list from HJT first.
While your're at it go ahead and check the following for updates:

I didn't make any changes in HJT but I did uninstall some software I don't use and disabled stuff like my webcam software. I'll disable some services and post a new log in the morning. Also updated Java and Flash.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Here's a new log. What should I fix in HJT?

Scan saved at 12:04:33 PM, on 3/10/2011

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\[email protected]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Users\Travis A. Anderson\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86\FahCore_a4.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: btorbit.com - {000123B4-9B42-4900-B3F7-F4B073EFC214} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitcth.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Grab Pro - {C55BBCD6-41AD-48AD-9953-3609C48EACC7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\GrabPro.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NACAgentUI] C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco NAC Agent\NACAgentUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/201
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Grab video by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/204
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload selected by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/203
O8 - Extra context menu item: Down&load all by Orbit - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitdownloader\orbitmxt.dll/202
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O16 - DPF: {0067DBFC-A752-458C-AE6E-B9C7E63D4824} (Device Detection) - http://www.logitech.com/devicedetector/plugins/LogitechDeviceDetection32.cab
O16 - DPF: {4D2D3A17-9B46-483C-A5F4-1DC471080009} (Cisco NAC Web Agent Control) - https://cas2.cca.ccsu.edu/auth/taweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {F27237D7-93C8-44C2-AC6E-D6057B9A918F} (JuniperSetupClientControl Class) - https://juniper.net/dana-cached/sc/JuniperSetupClient.cab
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\lbtserv.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcS64) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Cisco NAC Agent (NACAgent) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco NAC Agent\NACAgent.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe SwitchBoard (SwitchBoard) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 10897 bytes

gamblingman

VIP Member
For your next post, put an uninstall list from HJT, if you're not familiar with doing this I've put instructions for ya.

Open HJT -> "Open the Misc Tools section" -> "Open Uninstall Manager" -> "Save List" this will save the list of programs and open the file in notepad so you can paste the list of programs here.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
3DMark Vantage
3DMark06
Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended - English, Français, Deutsch
Adobe After Effects CS4 Third Party Content
Adobe AIR
Adobe AIR
Adobe Anchor Service CS4
Adobe Community Help
Adobe Community Help
Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection
Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection
Adobe Encore CS4 Codecs
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Exporter
Adobe Media Encoder CS4 Importer
Adobe Media Player
Adobe Media Player
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Third Party Content
Adobe Reader X
Adobe Setup
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5
Adobe Soundbooth CS4 Codecs
AIM 7
Apple Application Support
Apple Software Update
Batman: Arkham Asylum
BioShock
CameraHelperMsi
CamStudio
CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4
Canon My Printer
Canon Utilities Solution Menu
Cisco NAC Agent
Cryostasis (Remove Only)
DAEMON Tools Lite
Dead Space™ 2
Definition update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726)
Driver Sweeper 2.1.0
Dual-Core Optimizer
DVD Flick 1.3.0.7
EOSInfo
erLT
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
FAKEFACTORY Cinematic Mod V10
FileZilla Client 3.3.5.1
Folding@home-x86
Futuremark SystemInfo
Google Earth
Google Update Helper
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
HiJackThis
Hitman Blood Money
ImgBurn
Internet TV for Windows Media Center
IrfanView (remove only)
Java(TM) 6 Update 24
Juniper Networks Setup Client Activex Control
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 6.8.0
L&H TTS3000 British English
Logitech Webcam Software
LWS Facebook
LWS Gallery
LWS Help_main
LWS Launcher
LWS Motion Detection
LWS Pictures And Video
LWS Twitter
LWS Video Mask Maker
LWS Webcam Software
LWS WLM Plugin
LWS YouTube Plugin
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE
Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable
Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Access Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Groove MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office InfoPath MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2010
Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2010
Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2010
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86
Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86
Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86
Microsoft_VC80_MFCLOC_x86
Microsoft_VC90_ATL_x86
Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86
Microsoft_VC90_MFC_x86
Mirror's Edge™
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.13)
Mozilla Firefox 4.0 (x86 en-US)
Mozilla Thunderbird (3.1.7)
Myst IV - Revelation
nCleaner second 2.3.4.0
Netflix in Windows Media Center
Orbit Downloader
PDF Settings CS5
Portal
PxMergeModule
QuickTime
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2160841)
Skype™ 5.1
Star Trek Elite Force II
Steam
Suite Shared Configuration CS4
Ubisoft Game Launcher
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2473228)
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2494150)
VLC media player 1.1.6
Winamp
Windows Media Center Add-in for Flash
Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin

gamblingman

VIP Member
Do you have an Anti-Virus program? I dont see one in your logs. Did you uninstall Bonjour and F.lux?

You have definitely need to update the following:
  1. Mozilla Firefox (3.6.13)
  2. Mozilla Thunderbird (3.1.7)

I would also recommend checking all below programs for updates. Some of these may have updates, some have newer versions available. If you are aware that any of these programs are trial versions, consider uninstalling them if you dont need them or the trial has expired.

Check all Adobe programs for updates, usually can be done from inside the program. Check all others in-program for update capability or visit their site for updates. In parentheses are programs which you may need to update, check each for what is marked in (). I noted that an update/version may be possible depending on whether or not you have already installed it.

• Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended - English, Français, Deutsch
  • Adobe After Effects CS4 Third Party Content
  • Adobe AIR
  • Adobe Anchor Service CS4
  • Adobe Community Help
  • Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection
  • Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection
  • Adobe Encore CS4 Codecs
  • Adobe Reader X
  • Adobe Setup
  • Adobe Soundbooth CS4 Codecs
  1. AIM 7 (Possible update available)
  2. FAKEFACTORY Cinematic Mod (Possible update available)
  3. Futuremark SystemInfo (Possible New Version Available, Patch is Available)
  4. ImgBurn (Possible New Version/Update available)
  5. K-Lite Mega Codec (New Codec Available)
  6. VLC media player (Update Available)
  7. Winamp (Possible update available)

Also:
  • Check in Firefox for add-on updates
  • Open the Apple Software Updater and let it find anything needed.

Program I would uninstall:
Google Earth - Most people never use it and its nearly the same as Google Maps.

Then, post a new HJT log so we can remove any crud that all the updating added (like startup entries, etc...).

(Edit!) After we deal with the HJT log; and if you have the time and you haven't done it in awhile, run checkdisk next on each HDD starting with the HDD holding your system.

Then run your cleaner program (nCleaner), I prefer CCleaner but its personal preference. Just run to remove all temps,history, cache, etc... I would not run the registry fix function, its just not needed except for in specific circumstances.

Take the time now to delete any folders/files/shortcuts you dont want or need.

Again if you have time and havent done it in awhile; defrag each HDD you use (Don't defrag SSD or flash drives). I like to use Defraggler for this. Allow the defrag to run by itself and make sure that your A/V doesn't start and that Folding wont start while defragging. Don't do anything on your computer while defragging, try not to even pause the defrag because it will take it even longer to complete if you do.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Updated firefox 3.6 (though I use the beta these days and RC1 just updated yesterday) and also updated Thunderbird.

The Adobe updater ran last week and updated everything.
Updated VLC, iTunes/QuickTime, and uninstalled Google Earth.

Will run chkdsk and defrag after we take care of HJT
New HJT Log:

Scan saved at 9:18:47 PM, on 3/10/2011

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-x86\[email protected]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Users\Travis A. Anderson\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86\FahCore_a4.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\lws.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\CameraHelperShell.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 10\firefox.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

--
End of file - 11332 bytes

gamblingman

VIP Member
Java's updater that runs from start-up. You don't need this because you can check for updates yourself.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"​

A bit that gets i-Tunes process running from start-up, unnecessary since when you open i-Tunes its process begins anyway.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"​

DAEMON Tools Lite for making disk images, no need for it to be in start-up.
NOTE: For F.lux if you really need the screen adjustment then don't fix this. But, its just one more thing being started-up and running all the time.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [F.lux] "C:\Users\Travis A. Anderson\Local Settings\Apps\F.lux\flux.exe" /noshow​

Skype start-up, unnecessary since when you open skype its process begins anyway.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized​

Windows Sidebar, if you don't use it then lose these start-ups.

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')​

NOTICE: I am NOT having you remove this!

Yes its a Bonjour Service, this service is still there for some of the Adobe applications which may require it.
Lastly,
Since you removed Google Earth, you can go ahead and remove the Google Update Helper since you don't have any other Google programs. After that, run HJT and if you find the below service remove it.
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe​

Now a re-hash of a previous post:
  • If you have the time and you haven't done it in awhile, run checkdisk next on each HDD starting with the HDD holding your system.
  • Then run your cleaner program (nCleaner), I prefer CCleaner but its personal preference. Just run to remove all temps,history, cache, etc... I would not run the registry fix function, its just not needed except for in specific circumstances.
  • Take the time now to delete any folders/files/shortcuts you dont want or need.
  • Again if you have time and havent done it in awhile; defrag each HDD you use (Don't defrag SSD or flash drives). I like to use Defraggler for this. Allow the defrag to run by itself and make sure that your A/V doesn't start and that Folding wont start while defragging. Don't do anything on your computer while defragging, try not to even pause the defrag because it will take it even longer to complete if you do.

I've never liked Windows defrag, so I turn off its scheduling and do it myself with a program of my choice (up to you to do this also).

(And as I asked before, where is your anti-virus program? Didn't MSE work with NAC? It should have.)