for around $1400, with monitor, tax, etc...

wafflez

Here's a newegg wishlist I made to organize before I buy.
click here.

The specs are roughly as follows:
Case: A nice looking case from Antec.
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: eVGA 8800gts 320mb
PSU: XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX12V 500W Power Supply
Proc: Intel C2D E6600 2.4ghz
RAM: OCZ 2gb ddr2
HDD: Western Digital 250gb SATA
Keyboard/Mouse: Wireless Logitech Keyboard/mouse
Monitor: Hanns 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen 1440x900
Optical: Some obscure DVD-RW+/-, DLDVD, etc.
CPU Fan: Scythe SCMN-1100 100mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

The entire build comes to $1334.90, but I'm probably going to wait till Q3 in hopes of even a slight intel price drop.

Well the point of making this thread is...can anyone make it any better or cheaper without sacrificing anything important? (i.e. a cheaper hard drive, I only need about 200gb tops)
(With shipping & tax, it comes to $1,482.34...which is sort of over my budget by $80. I live near LA, California, so newegg charges me tax according to their 'tax page' >_>).

Jet

VIP Member
Hmm. If anything, you'd need to spend more on a PSU. If you wanted to cut on money, the only thing I'd see would be keeping the stock CPU fan and upgrading later, and not getting as good of a case.

wafflez

I was thinking same thing at first...But when i searched '8800gts power requirements', it only said an average...Does anyone know the exact number of Amps that it takes? oh and Jet, any good suggestions to a clean, plain black case like the one in the wishlist for around $50?

lol thanks.

ezefosure

Yea, i agree that you're going to need a better PSU. But you're getting this in Q3. The prices for the other components will probably go down and leave enough room for a better psu then. I know i made a wishlist (more of put everything int he cart) and i see the prices shifting around on new egg almost daily. The rig i put in my cart about a week ago costs like 30 dollars cheaper already.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I was thinking same thing at first...But when i searched '8800gts power requirements', it only said an average...
Official recommendation is minimum 400W with +12V@26A for a system with an 8800GTS. In practice, the card can draw up to about 8.5A from the +12V rail in today's games. This is expected to increase slightly as DX10 games are released that can take full advantage of the card's features.

The Goodpower is sufficient for that system. Just. The Corsair HX520 would be a good choice, if you do decide to spend a little more. With free shipping and the MIR, it's not that much more money for a much better PSU.

If you're waiting until Q3, it's kind of pointless to assemble a parts list now...the R600 (by ATi) is due out next month (May, if it's not delayed again), which may cost less than the 8800GTS, or at very least may cause nVIDIA to cut their prices. RAM and motherboard prices are also changing constantly.

As for a case, I'd recommend any of these over the other Cooler Master mentioned above: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=centurion+5&x=0&y=0

STR1PES

would your set up be able to burn dvd's from a dvd recorder download & burn cd's dvd's and surf fast?

thanks!