Formating of Drive

commander

Hi,
I intend to format my C: drive which contains my windows operating system as I suspected virus. However, I do not wish to lose any files in my other partitioned drive D and E drive.

May I know if I can just simply format C drive by using Dos Prompt and re-install windows into C drive, without affecting the content of my D and E drive thereafter?

Thanks for advice...

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Actually you would have an easier time with that if you did it directly in the windows setup. Just pick the c: partition when you're going through the setup and tell it to do a quick format. Your other partitions will remain intact. That would also save you the hassle of messing with it out in the dos prompt.

commander

hi Admin Power,

my windows Ops System resides in C drive.. after formatting C drive, can I just simply insert my windows boot up disc and re-install the Ops System?

Thanks for your advice

AdmnPower

VIP Member
yeah, but what i was saying is that you can put in your windows disc and run the windows setup and format c drive within the setup all in one big step and save yourself the hassle of working in the command prompt. Not to mention conventional startup disks don't support the NTFS file system that xp usually uses.