Formatted ext HD and screwed up

matty6660

I've got a seagate external hard drive. I formatted it but cancelled after a little while and it said something about a possible corruption if you cancel it early.

Now it isn't recognised when I plug it into the computer. The properties say this device is working properly. And the driver is up to date.

I don't know anything about hard drives :confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
I've got a seagate external hard drive. I formatted it but cancelled after a little while and it said something about a possible corruption if you cancel it early.

Now it isn't recognised when I plug it into the computer. The properties say this device is working properly. And the driver is up to date.

I don't know anything about hard drives :confused:
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
Computer Management > Disk Management > Right click on the drive and try formatting again. You may need to delete and recreate the partition as well.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
The disk doesn't show there.

Are you sure?
Because if the disk cannot be seen ANYWHERE then how do you SEE the properties of it?
Since you said:

The properties say this device is working properly.

Where do you go to see those properties then?
The device manager?

Be sure to plug the disk in the computer.You should hear the Windows sound that it has been detected.AFTER THAT (not before) go into Disk Management like WRXGuy 1 said and the disk should be detected there:
diskmanagement.gif

Give us the screenshot from Disk Management if you want just in case since you said you do not know anything about hard disk drives.
Maybe the disk was there,only you did not know it was.

Also in Disk Management you can go to ACTION ---> RESCAN DISKS to redetect all plugged disks just in case.