formatting OS harddisk but keeping data on a 2nd disk

towly

Im getting my SSD today and was wondering if I have some programs installed on a 2nd drive, will the programs still work when the new disk is installed or will I need to reinstall them?

Thanks

Benny Boy

Im getting my SSD today and was wondering if I have some programs installed on a 2nd drive, will the programs still work when the new disk is installed or will I need to reinstall them?
If they worked w/o being on C: before, then they still will.

CrayonMuncher

on the new drive i assume you will reinstall the os meaning that most all the programs you currently have should still work as long as they dont reuquire some info stored on the orginal boot drive.

You may want to backup some data however, for example certain data for all my games on win 7 sotred on in the C: drive, my boot partition, but all my games are installed on D:, this data usually includes stuff like save games, skins and so forth, baiscally stuff you've added since installation so you may need to back that up if you want to keep it.
So you could end up with installed program working but none of your saved information.

paulcheung

Not necessaryly as a lot of the programs are store informations in the window registry. better you reinstall the programs or you need to restore the registory file in order to make them work properly.