FPS drops during games.. How can I fix without reducing settings?

bowlzack

My old computer had shitty fps during games, it was really outdated.. Recently I bought a new computer for gaming (around 300 bucks). This one, while better than the last, still has fps issues. When playing modern games on med-high settings, or during graphically demanding moments, the fps will drop. This includes games like starcraft 2, all source games (looking far distances, L4D zombie swarms, facing portals in portal, shooting effects, explosions, etc), and GTA 4. In GTA 4 I also get incredible mouse lag during menus, and a half second delay in-game..

Here are my system specs:

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @2.6GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 4096 MB RAM
Direct X 11

Display: ATI Radeon HD 4550
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x9540)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 1881 MB
Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Drivers are up to date, hard drive is pretty clean still, and highly doubt there's a virus.

Anybody know what's causing the problem? And how to fix it? I want my pc to support high performance. :/

salvage-this

I think that the biggest bottleneck on your system is your gpu. It has a 64 bit interface for your memory. That is why you are having trouble with scenes that have a lot going on. There is too much information that is trying to be sent through your gpu at once.

I see a few options. you can try overclocking but I would guess that it will not do much since it will still have a 64 bit interface. you can get a new video card with some better specs. Or you can scale down the settings.

bowlzack

I think that the biggest bottleneck on your system is your gpu. It has a 64 bit interface for your memory. That is why you are having trouble with scenes that have a lot going on. There is too much information that is trying to be sent through your gpu at once.

I see a few options. you can try overclocking but I would guess that it will not do much since it will still have a 64 bit interface. you can get a new video card with some better specs. Or you can scale down the settings.

Ah I thought it was the GPU, but I wasn't sure.. Thanks!

Now I'm not sure what I should get as an upgrade.. I want something that can run med-high settings on modern games.. Any suggestions anyone?
I've been looking at the radeon 5770 as an upgrade, for about 200 bucks. http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=033570

Think that would do the job? I need opinions :)

Dystopia

GTA 4 is known for lag issues. The video card -- not good. But it's the CPU is whats killing you. GTA 4 is extremely CPU intensive, probably due to the whole city that is loaded at one time. The only way to really get the game running smooth is to upgrade the GPU to something like a 4850 and a C2D, at least. Or, down the settings.

bowlzack

GTA 4 is known for lag issues. The video card -- not good. But it's the CPU is whats killing you. GTA 4 is extremely CPU intensive, probably due to the whole city that is loaded at one time. The only way to really get the game running smooth is to upgrade the GPU to something like a 4850 and a C2D, at least. Or, down the settings.

Thanks, but i'm confused a bit now, is the CPU a problem as well? Or just the GPU? If it is the CPU too, which one is the bigger problem?

Dystopia

Thanks, but i'm confused a bit now, is the CPU a problem as well? Or just the GPU? If it is the CPU too, which one is the bigger problem?

CPU is definitly the bigger problem, but yeah, the GPU needs to be replaced as well. Expect to put in $150-175. The nice thing is that you can sell the old parts to make the whole thing cheaper.

daisymtc

What PSU have you got?
First thing is Video card.
While for CPU, E5300 is not very good, but Video card is bottlenecked your performance. Also, you can slightly overclock your E5300 to improve it.

bowlzack

I don't know how to check what PSU I have..

What makes a good CPU? And why is mine bad? (I thought pentium 4 dual core was great for gaming?!? 4gigs ram is good too isnt it??)

Also, what would be cheaper to upgrade? CPU or GPU? And could I get some confirmation that upgrading my CPU instead of GPU would make the bigger difference?

Finally, for the GPU, I'm looking at these two: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=615&card2=566 Not sure if I'm making the right decisions.. Could use some opinions on what's better, or on something else even better than those (preferably not too much more than 300 bucks).

Sorry for a lot of questions, I just can't afford to mess this up.. Thanks :)

salvage-this

My vote is for the gpu but that will most likely come with a psu upgrade. The lag in GTA IV might be because of the cpu but the rest of the lag that you described seems more like a bottleneck from your gpu to me.

Edit: you can check your power supply buy opening up the case and reading the wattage and manufacturer off of the label.

Last edited:

bowlzack

My vote is for the gpu but that will most likely come with a psu upgrade. The lag in GTA IV might be because of the cpu but the rest of the lag that you described seems more like a bottleneck from your gpu to me.

Edit: you can check your power supply buy opening up the case and reading the wattage and manufacturer off of the label.

Thanks. And yeah I'm thinking GPU as well, I don't really care for GTA, and all my other games only have fps drops, which I think is more related to GPU than CPU (but I don't know shit so..)

Anyways thanks, still looking for more opinions :)

DanielSan

You dont have a powerfull enough cpu or gpu to be playing modern games at 1080p resolution sorry your set up is just way below par for that.

Your amount of ram is fine and the standard but you need a better cpu than that very old pentium dual core, if your on a 775 motherboard try getting a better one or a core 2 quad. And if you can afford it at least a 5770. And lower your resolution to 1680 x 1050 or even 1366 x 768 and you will get better fps.

If you cant afford any new hardware lower your resolution to 1366 x 768 and you should get somewhat better fps.

bowlzack

You dont have a powerfull enough cpu or gpu to be playing modern games at 1080p resolution sorry your set up is just way below par for that.

Your amount of ram is fine and the standard but you need a better cpu than that very old pentium dual core, if your on a 775 motherboard try getting a better one or a core 2 quad. And if you can afford it at least a 5770. And lower your resolution to 1680 x 1050 or even 1366 x 768 and you will get better fps.

If you cant afford any new hardware lower your resolution to 1366 x 768 and you should get somewhat better fps.

Thanks.
Could you give me your opinion on what would make the bigger difference? CPU or GPU?

And I can get a 5770 no problem, I found it for only around 170$.. But I'm not sure if the 4850 is better, I assume it's not because 5770 came later (i assume), but looking at their specs, I can't tell.. http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=615&card2=566

Or if there's any better card that somebody can suggest for me that's not too much over 400 bucks, I'd really appreciate it.

Once again sorry for questions, I don't want to mess this up :/.

linkin

VIP Member
Any 1GB GPU should be enough for GTA 4 so long as the memory is 128-bit or above.

CPU however... GTA4 eats my athlon for breakfeast. Bigger, beefier CPU is better.

It also gobbles most of my 4GB of RAM... since the Steam version is running from an (x86) folder it's taking up 2GB of RAM by itself and can't go any higher.

I plan to fix that when I get a new hdd/reformat.

Note: My Pentium E6300 dually at 4GHz was able to play GTA4 pretty well for a dual core. The E5300 is the same core (Wolfdale) so overclock that puppy sky high!

DanielSan

Thanks.
Could you give me your opinion on what would make the bigger difference? CPU or GPU?

And I can get a 5770 no problem, I found it for only around 170$.. But I'm not sure if the 4850 is better, I assume it's not because 5770 came later (i assume), but looking at their specs, I can't tell.. http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=615&card2=566

Or if there's any better card that somebody can suggest for me that's not too much over 400 bucks, I'd really appreciate it.

Once again sorry for questions, I don't want to mess this up :/.

Go for the 5770, and either overclock that E5300 of yours or get a better core2 or quad.

DanielSan.