Frame computer

The_Other_One

VIP Member
So this is something I'd been wanting to do for some time but never had the parts. Well after receiving a digital picture frame from my girlfriend, I figured I'd go all out and actually make my own frame using a laptop.

The system began as an old Dell Inspiron 1100. I removed the old desktop Celeron 2.4GHz and replaced it with a Pentium 4-M 1.8GHz (though it only runs at 1.2GHz) to help with heat. That aside, it's pretty stock. 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, PCMCIA wifi.

I've seen other people where they simply placed the whole laptop in a frame, leaving it in the plastic and all, but I simply couldn't do that. So I disassembled the entire laptop and tossed the useless parts like the plastic case, optical drive, keyboard, etc... :p

So yeah, I won't get into everything as it's pretty obvious what I've done thus far, but I'm quite happy with it. I still have a fair bit remaining though. I need a matte for around the LCD, I need to actually secure the board/wood (using tape now :p), I need some kind of mount to hold it up, I'd like to make some kind of cover over the mobo, and I'd like to replace the power button.

Any suggestions for software or addition hardware mods? Right now it's running XP. I might switch over to Ubuntu depending on what software/screensavers I can find for slideshows and such.

Attachments

• Frame_1.jpg
    Frame_1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Frame_2.jpg
    Frame_2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 84

lucasbytegenius

I don't have any suggestions for you just stopped in to comment.
Uber awesome project, a real DIY:p
And I must comment on the sleek 5 1/4 FD drive, very classic :D

The_Other_One

VIP Member
And I must comment on the sleek 5 1/4 FD drive, very classic :D

Hah... That's an old computer I was "restoring" but never really got around to it. An old 386. I really should get back to fixing it up :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I'll post something more when I have some more finished. It's really up to finding the parts I need now :p I thought I had a matte for it last night, but of course I picked up at 11x14 rather than a 10x13 :eek:

lucasbytegenius

Ha, I remember installing MS-DOS 5 on my 700 MHz Dell Dimension T700r, then placing Win3.11 on it and configuring some nifty menus in the config.sys. It was so fun showing my stuck-in-the-80s dad how 3.1 started up in 1 second :D.

applemao

i have always wanted to take some kick butt computer parts and put them inside an old scool mac lisa case. then people would be like "hahaha that thing is frikken old!" then you turn it on and run crysis!!!! lolz.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Unfortunately the screen is rather small. But great idea :good:

Small? It's a 14" screen which is larger than most any other digital frame you'd come across. Or do you mean because the LCD doesn't reach the edge? That's what a matte is for :p

I still need to find something to cover the back, but I now have everything secured in place. The matte does cover a portion of the screen which kinda messes up using the computer otherwise but is fine for displaying photos.

Attachments

• Frame_Matte.jpg
    Frame_Matte.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 30

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love projects like this,Nice one looks great!

Would be even more wicked if it was touch screen :)

lucasbytegenius

Small? It's a 14" screen which is larger than most any other digital frame you'd come across. Or do you mean because the LCD doesn't reach the edge? That's what a matte is for :p
No, I'm talking about applemao's Lisa-that-runs-Crysis. Your semi-completed frame computer looks good, though :)