Free data transfer sites?

Are there any free sites for uploading larger files for others to download? I occasionally need to send someone a file larger than my email service will allow. Dropbox I think requires both parties have an account to transfer files. Any other suggestions?

Any other file transfer service suggestions?

I have a 25mb limit on email and a 29mb file. In future might need 50mb capacity.

Hell, I would pay $5 for each time I send a larger file.

Doesn't the person who is downloading the file also need a dropbox account in order to get it?

Anyone hear of sync.com? A Canadian company.

I ask about sync.com because they claim better security and definitely better privacy. I think dropbox can look at all your shit and their officiates may also be privy to your shit.

Darren

Staff member
I ask about sync.com because they claim better security and definitely better privacy. I think dropbox can look at all your shit and their officiates may also be privy to your shit.
If you don't want people in your shit, don't put it on cloud services. I don't care what company X Y or Z says. It's on the cloud, someone can access it.

Pick your poison and run with it.

beers

Staff member
You can always manually encrypt stuff before you put it on there with gpg or whatever other mechanism makes sense.

Some NAS also have functions for doing this like Synology.

It doesn't need to be completely free. But any regular fee might not be worth it with the infrequently of use.

I know onedrive doesn't allow nude images which might be an issue for professional photographers. And like I said about sync.com they claim your data is encrypted even from them once uploaded. And I guess Canadian laws take privacy very seriously.

beers

Staff member
And like I said about sync.com they claim your data is encrypted even from them once uploaded
Most of them claim that, it's impossible to be 100% sure they both did it correctly and both have no access, but you can roll your own encryption if you wanted to and achieve the same result yourself.

You could roll it on Owncloud yourself if you wanted to, they have some integrated sharing features, although if you aren't familiar with setting up services, virtualization and encryption then it may take a bit to get going.