Free firewall for antivirus and outbound protection?

alicein1derville

I know that Windows comes with a firewall, which I have never really done anything with.

I recently found this overview of firewalls on ZoneAlarms site:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/firewall/good-firewall.htm

They clearly know there stuff, so I am thinking about getting their free firewall.

This page says that ‘Some firewalls don’t have what’s called “outbound protection”. That means they can’t control information that leaves your computer.’

I heard that if you are using free anti-virus software, that it is better to use the free Zonealarm firewall then the Windows firewall.

Is this because the Windows firewall dosen’t have ‘outbound protection’?

Is it because the Zonealarm firewall is more configurable or user friendly?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The windows firewall doesn't have outbound protection. Do you use a router at home? Most routers have a built in firewall however, can't be configured as good as zonealarms firewall.

tremmor

I know that Windows comes with a firewall, which I have never really done anything with.

I recently found this overview of firewalls on ZoneAlarms site:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/firewall/good-firewall.htm

They clearly know there stuff, so I am thinking about getting their free firewall.

This page says that ‘Some firewalls don’t have what’s called “outbound protection”. That means they can’t control information that leaves your computer.’

I heard that if you are using free anti-virus software, that it is better to use the free Zonealarm firewall then the Windows firewall.

Is this because the Windows firewall dosen’t have ‘outbound protection’?

Is it because the Zonealarm firewall is more configurable or user friendly?

yes. what ever works mostly. Commodo works well, its a freeware fire wall.
I used for years with AVG free virus. been using only Kaspersky internet security which is pay. My router supports it both ways and still use it.
Oh well. nice to have control and what can enter or not or leave.
mostly a virus.