Free, Or Cheap, High-End Computer?

Andrew W Elam

Hello, forgive me if I sound selfish asking about this.

I work in 2d and 3d animation, as well as a few video games here and there. I need a computer capable of running the programs I use. I usually use Gimp 2.0, Autodesk Maya, Unity 3D, and Blender 3D. I often have to run at least two of the programs at once, and my current computer can barely handle the task.

I need a good high-end computer capable of doing such. However, I currently do have the money to purchase the expensive new PCs. Are there, by any chance, any place where I can get a free computer, or cheap at least? Or have one custom built?

Thanks!

Laquer Head

Hello, forgive me if I sound selfish asking about this.

I work in 2d and 3d animation, as well as a few video games here and there. I need a computer capable of running the programs I use. I usually use Gimp 2.0, Autodesk Maya, Unity 3D, and Blender 3D. I often have to run at least two of the programs at once, and my current computer can barely handle the task.

I need a good high-end computer capable of doing such. However, I currently do have the money to purchase the expensive new PCs. Are there, by any chance, any place where I can get a free computer, or cheap at least? Or have one custom built?

Thanks!

• If your a student at a college or university you might potentially be able to apply for funding, if it was related to your degree. Look into it if this applies!

• Go to a bank, get a loan/line of credit

• Get a job

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
If you're really that desperate for a "high-end" computer, you might want to look at old servers on ebay, something like mid/high-end Proliant G5/G6 with dual quad-core processors. They're massively unwieldy and suck for graphics (they generally have integrated chips that can only do up to about 1280x1024 or 1440x900 and have little or none in the way of 3D or any kind of acceleration), but since they're a pain to get rid of, they're usually pretty cheap for the amount of pure CPU power and RAM they have. If you're adventurous, you can probably even install a graphics card, but you'll most likely need a PCIE converter/riser as the slots on servers usually only go up to x8 physically, and you will likely need a separate PSU just for the graphics.

I have a Proliant ML350 G5 with dual quad-core xeons (can't remember which exact model but they're LGA771 so very old), I use it for distributed compiling and also did some Litecoin mining during the winter for fun, it's roughly in the same league as my main PC in terms of raw CPU power. My dad found it ditched on the side of the road near his work. With some luck, you too might be able to find someone with old, working servers ready to ditch them for next to nothing.

Note that you will need pro version of Windows if you want it to run on a multi-cpu machine, and even then probably won't be able to find drivers for some of the things. I have no problems with Linux on mine, though.

AMD_man

Joking aside, I don´t think anyone would give away such a thing. Nevertheless, good computers can be built without that much money.